Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Win7 client reauthenticating to RADIUS server while roaming

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Win7 client reauthenticating to RADIUS server while roaming

Posted Feb 28, 2013 01:54 PM

I have a couple of Windows 7 clients that will occasionally reauthenticate to the RADIUS server when roaming from one AP to another. This does not happen all the time, but when it does, it causes certain applications to crash. Has anyone ever experienced this or any recommendations on trying to figure out why the client finds the need to reauthenicate? TAC asked me to confirm that my dot1x profile has both 1) Validate PMKID: and 2) Opportunistic Keyu Caching: checked off and it does. When a client succefully roams, show auth-tracebuf reports:

station-down             -      -    
    station-up
    station-data-ready  
    wpa2-key1
    wpa2-key2
    wpa2-key3
    wpa2-key4

When it fails and reauthenticates, it reports:

station-down             -      -    
    station-up
    eap-id-req
    eap-id-resp
    rad-req
    rad-resp
    eap-req
    eap-resp
    rad-req
    rad-resp
    eap-req
    eap-resp
    rad-req
    rad-resp
    eap-req
    eap-resp
    rad-req
    rad-accept
    eap-success

Modified the Windows 7 client WLAN AutoConfig service to be automatically started and still have the same issues. The svchost_RASCHAP.LOG file on the client reports a "RasEapGetInfo" at the same time that the "eap-id-req" reports. It appears to me that the issue is the client, but I cannot figure out for sure if it is and if so why.

Regards,

Tony Marques

• 2.  RE: Win7 client reauthenticating to RADIUS server while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2013 10:40 PM

Please try to upgrade the client driver.

• 3.  RE: Win7 client reauthenticating to RADIUS server while roaming

Posted Mar 06, 2013 10:06 AM

Client driver has been upgraded. We've also removed the third party vendor software and have the WLAN AutoConfig service configured to automatically start. Problem has become less sprodaic, but logs still showing DEAUTH FROM STA with REASON UNSPECIFIED FAILURE. Not sure if under the 802.11 settings it would be worth checking off "This network uses pre-authentication". Problem is limited to a couple of Lenovo laptops.