Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Window's 7 Client disconnects

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Window's 7 Client disconnects

Posted Mar 03, 2015 08:12 AM

Hi guys. I have a ticket open with TAC to help but wanted to see what others thought of this issue i'm having or had a similar experience. When our organzation migrated to Window's 7 we noticed so many client issues on wifi. The latest one we have now is the wireless device gets the yellow triangle and show's its disconnected. Device can't browse the web, ping etc.

When i look at the device on the wireless controller it shows it's been up and authenticated for hours. We have our Desktop engineering team looking at the image. We did find a number of articles on IPv6 needing to be disabled on the Client side if not in use because it could cause similar issues.

We are running code 6.3.1.5 with 7220 controllers. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Window's 7 Client disconnects

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 08:15 AM

What client wireless adapter on those Windows 7 devices?

What version of the driver?

Are you running encryption?

Is is specific to a location?

How often are the disconnects?

When did it start happening?

• 3.  RE: Window's 7 Client disconnects

Posted Mar 03, 2015 10:09 AM

So we have all sorts of different Client adapters on campus. Issue has ranged from Dell laptops to WOW which is Work station on Wheels since we are a hosptial.

for the WOW's which is what i'm currently focusing the troubleshooting on is the following:

1) Netgear A6200 WiFi Adapter

2) 6.30.145.30

3) None

4) Not specific to a location or controller (we have two deployed on campus)

5) very random and how to pin point how often. We have different devices in different area's that have a disconnect daily. It could be 1 out of 10 devices in an area

6) Hard to pin point a date as most users never open a ticket but i'd say it's been going on for a couple of months (at least that's when i first herd of this issue)

All the same SSID using WPA2-Enterprise. We have a Cisco ACS server doing Machine Authentication with the device MAC address.

98% of devices have the standard Windows 7 Image we use on campus. Users on other platforms such as Windows 8, Mac OSX and mobile devices don't have this issue. But then again only a small amount of users have the non standard Windows 7 image.

• 4.  RE: Window's 7 Client disconnects

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 11:37 AM
    The unwritten rule is if it happens everywhere, you need to look at your whole deployment and see if there is something fundamental is wrong. If it was not always bad, you look at changes or if you passed a certain threshold.

What access points are you using? How many SSIDs are you running?

• 5.  RE: Window's 7 Client disconnects

Posted Mar 03, 2015 12:53 PM

We are running AP-225.

We right now have 7 SSID's and working hard to get it down to 4.

• 6.  RE: Window's 7 Client disconnects

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2015 01:25 PM
    Vosgoth4,

That should be the priority in this situation especially in a hospital. If you can only broadcast SSIDs only on the bands that you need them to be on, that would be key.