Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

Posted Dec 27, 2016 08:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

So I made an oopsy and accidently enabled the wired-ap feature in tunnel mode globally on all of my APs. I'm wondering what sort of impact this may cause and the documentation on this feature is unclear to me. Does this feature only enable when the AP is configured for mesh? Or does it enable whether mesh or not and I just potentially sent Ethernet frames from all across my network out my controller?

• 2.  RE: Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2016 08:58 PM
    It all depends.... If it was not on before I would turn it off. It is enabled whether mesh or not.

• 3.  RE: Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 27, 2016 09:07 PM
    To answer your question the wired AP profiles tunnels traffic back to the controller on the VLAN specified. If the AP has two ports and both are plugged in it can certainly create a loop which might cause an outage, so leaving it off is a good thing ..

• 4.  RE: Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I turned it off as soon as I saw that it was enabled everywhere. It definitely caused an issue on our network, so I was trying to understand better what it did. 

Where I'm confused is it was configured as an access port using VLAN 1. VLAN 1 is disabled on the trunks going to the controller and from what I can tell internally on the controller too.

The APs were definitely taking Ethernet frames from the edge switch VLANs and tunneling it back to the controller. Once it gets to the controller, does the controller send the Ethernet frames back out to all of the APs configured with wired-AP on the same VLAN (VLAN 1 in this case)?

• 5.  RE: Wired-ap profile enabled in tunnel mode globally

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 29, 2016 12:42 PM
    On the same Vlan.