Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wired port / profile question.

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Wired port / profile question.

Posted Jan 27, 2012 06:48 AM

Up until yesterday I had sucessfully got the wired port on a RAP2 working to enable us to use a VOIP hanset.  The Wireless side enabled the user to tunnel back to the corporate network as expected. This had been working fin for almost a year. I had created a wired profile called "Voip-connection".

Yesterday, I had a task of setting up a RAP 5 to broadcast both the Corporate & Guest SSID and also allow Untrusted access to the guest network via Eth01 using the default AAA_Guest_profile.   I called this wired profile "AuthGuestWired".

I didn't touch the Voip-Connection profile, but about the same time I applied the settings to my new profile, the voice vlan on our corporate network went into SPT blocking status.

The only way I could over come this was to go into the wired"VOIP-Connection" profile and remove the vlan 800 from the "TRUNK MODE ALLOWED VLAN"

I cannot understand how SPT on our core switches could see this as a loop and really cannot get my head around why this fault occured, I am tempted to recreate it but I enjoy my job here....

Can anyone give me any insight as to what may be happening here?   Thanks. 

• 2.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:06 AM

Is the Aruba controller single-connected or dual connected to the core switch?

• 3.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:09 AM

Dual connected eth 0/0 & 0/1  and then set as an aggregated link on our switch. 

• 4.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:11 AM

@AC-Jon wrote:

Dual connected eth 0/0 & 0/1  and then set as an agregated ling on our switch. 

This is a general comment and not specific to your configuration, because I have not seen it.  If the core switch that you are connected to is running spanning tree, you should disable it (STP) on the Aruba controller so that the core switch can manage the spanning tree instance.  This is in particular if you have more than one connection from the Aruba controller to the switch.

• 5.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:17 AM

Cheers CJ, but STP is disabled on the controller.

show spanning-tree 

Spanning Tree is not currently active
    The following parameters have been configured
    Stp Status : Disabled
    Protocol : IEEE
    Max Age (sec) : 20
    Hello Time (sec) : 2
    Forward Delay (sec) : 15
    Bridge Priority : 32768
    Mode : RSTP (802.1w)

show spantree 

Spanning-Tree is disabled

Even so, how would a Wired Profile designed to be associated with a RAP-Profile have any bearing on the link between the Controller & Switch?

• 6.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:25 AM

AC Jon,

I think TAC would have to look at your configuration and topology in its entirey to explain.  I certainly do not want to guess, not knowing all of your details.

• 7.  RE: Wired port / profile question.

Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:34 AM

I dread to imagine what they might find!!

Cheers anyway CJ.

I will leave the post open incase anyone else is familiar with similar issues..

• 8.  RE: Wired port / profile question.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2012 07:37 AM

okay.

<guess>

The broadcast button on the wired ap profile; you can try unchecking it, to see if the situation persists. That button is designed to prevent the the situation you are experiencing.

It keeps the controller from flooding STP bpdus to that port.  Depending on your phone, it might be a switch that also participates in spanning tree, so that knob would keep those bpdus from that port.  Since that port was a trunk (once again guessing here) that might have been what was happening.

</guess>