Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Client is not getting IP address

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Wireless Client is not getting IP address

Posted Jul 10, 2017 12:37 AM
      |   view attached

I need help with setting up the Aruba for testing purpose.

I have the DHCP server which I can ping and it is giving IP addresses to other devices but this new wifi network I am trying to setup it is not working. If I do static IP addressing then I can ping the netowrk but Captive portal is nto working.. 

start with DHCP.. following are some outputs

I have attached some output with this email. 

please let me know if there is any more informaiton requires. 

Attachment(s)

txt
    Dhcp log.txt   14 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Wireless Client is not getting IP address

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 10, 2017 03:40 AM

Hey, which is the client VLAN and which  is the user VLAN? I assume that  10.233.147.170 and 10.234.211.170 are your DHCP servers?

- If you plug yourself into a wired switch port using the same VLAN as the SSID, are you able to obtain an IP address?

- Are all the correct VLAN's defined on your Aruba a controller.

- Is the SSID in question using a Captive Portal if so the Aruba controller will need a L3 interface in that user VLAN.

- DNS must be working for the Captive Portal to be displayed.

- If the Aruba has a L3 interface in the user VLAN but the DHCP server is not in the same VLAN, have you defined the ip-helper on the interface?

• 3.  RE: Wireless Client is not getting IP address

Posted Jul 10, 2017 06:15 PM

Q:which is the client VLAN and which  is the user VLAN? I assume that  10.233.147.170 and 10.234.211.170 are your DHCP servers?

A: Client vlan is 2019 following is the configuraiton .. 

interface vlan 2019
    ip address 10.227.152.2 255.255.252.0
    ip helper-address 10.233.147.170
    ip helper-address 10.234.211.170
    description "Red_VIP"

- If you plug yourself into a wired switch port using the same VLAN as the SSID, are you able to obtain an IP address?

A: VLAN is not extended to wired LAN.. Controller is acting as L3 and then routed to the Wired side. Other VLANs on the wired LAN are getting IP address from the same DHCP servers.

-Are all the correct VLAN's defined on your Aruba a controller.

Yes,

If the Aruba has a L3 interface in the user VLAN but the DHCP server is not in the same VLAN, have you defined the ip-helper on the interface?

- Yes I have define IP helper address and I can ping both the DHCP servers from the VLAN 2019 as source as well. 

Capative protal is the second issue but I would like to get DHCP stuff fixed fist.. one step at at time.. 

Capative portal should be working via transperent dns redirection so it could be issue with transperent dns redirection box..

Thanks for looking into this issue.

• 4.  RE: Wireless Client is not getting IP address

Posted Jul 11, 2017 12:54 PM

Your DHCP trace shows DISCOVERs but no OFFERs etc.

Can you get the logging from the DHCP servers to show that hey're receiving the requests and sending offers?

• 5.  RE: Wireless Client is not getting IP address

Posted Jul 11, 2017 04:46 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help and reading the thread.. I have found the issue and fixed it.

My cisco switch was dropping the packet as DHCP snooping trust was not setup.

By saying that it confused me why Aruba controller requires DHCP Snooping trust as it only requires towards the server port not the client port. 

if you know any reason for this that will be nice or else I will keep this in mind for next deployment. 

Thanks,

Nilay.