Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

Posted May 24, 2016 07:25 PM

I'm thinking about testing a Aruba wireless controller and setting it up with multiple mesh clusters using priority levels to provide mesh cluster recovery and redundancy. Are the mesh portals and mesh points for each cluster limited to 8 mesh points with a physical wireless controller? If multiple mesh clusters are set up, do I have to subnet and create additional VLANs for each cluster or can the clusters use the same subnet and VLAN?

• 2.  RE: Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2016 08:05 PM

Recommendation is no more than 6-8 points per portal. You can create as many mesh clusters as you like (there should be no functional limit). You can have them all share the same L2 backhaul/VLAN. Just watch out for loops.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

Posted May 25, 2016 12:09 PM

Are the 6-8 mesh points per mesh portal a software limitation or a recommendation based on traffic requirements?

• 4.  RE: Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 25, 2016 01:54 PM

The AOS controller will let you go out to 64 nodes. 6-8 is the recommendation due to the basic math of how that many points can quickly erode the link rates.

• 5.  RE: Wireless Controller - Multiple Mesh Clusters

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:35 PM

Thanks for the information Jerrod. I appreciate it. It looks like the max number of hops is 32, default is 8, and the recommended number of hops from mesh AP to mesh portal is 2-3. Is there a recommended signal quality/signal value between the APs in a mesh deployment? Is there a recommended/minimum value for data throughput between any pair of mesh point-mesh point or mesh point-mesh portal?