Wireless Access

Contributor II

Wireless Roaming Problem

I have a group of AP135s and IAP135s being managed by a mobility controllr all within a single VLAN. Is it normal that before a client roams to another client it has to drop the connection with the current AP and restablish connectivity with the other AP? I guess there is some settings to allow smooth roaming from 1 AP to another. Can someone help me with such settings?

Secondly, connected clients suddenly drop their connection completely and recnnect or sometimes do not reconnect because of authentication failure.

Can there be a workaround for this also??

thank you

Guru Elite

Re: Wireless Roaming Problem

How far apart are your access points?

At what power are they?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

The APs are just 2-3 meters apart at a min power of 12 and max of 18.

Are the clients supposed to completely drop the connection to the APs if they are roaming from 1 AP to the other or if they are load balancing? If not is there a way to fine tune so that they do not drop connection whiles they are roaming.

Guru Elite

Is this a consistent problem with a certain type of devices? Keep in mind that roaming is a client decision and some client drivers are just horrendous at making roaming decisions.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

Why are your access points 2 to 3 meters apart?  That is too close.  It should be about 20 meters apart, in a typical office scenario.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Sorry, i mean 20-30 meters apart.

Contributor II

Its not with specific devices, sometimes there is an authentication error after it drops the connection (even though they are in the same ESSID and single Vlan) and cannot automatically reconnect. So i have to manually connect again.

Guru Elite

Can you print the output of "show AP essid"

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

Sure. Find attached results of the "show ap essid"

Guru Elite

Okay,

Is VLAN 1 shared with wired clients?  If so, please enable "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" in the Virtual AP profile, of that SSID.  Broadcast propagation could be negatively affecting your data traffic.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: