Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

I've done a couple of internal surveys and now I'm working on performing an outdoor survey via GPS. My question, is there a proper orientation for the wireless card that I'm using?  Should it be placed on the side usb connection (horizontal) or placed on the back of the monitor facing up (vertical)?

I've done a couple of test surveys and the data gathered is definately different depending on the location of the card.  

The card I'm using is a DLINK DWA-160, a recommended card by AirMagnet.  I've contacted DLINK, but they stated that the card has no orientation. 

Guru Elite

Re: Wireless Survey wireless card orientation

Whatever you do, just make sure it is the same orientation for the whole survey.  Outdoor surveys vary greatly because outdoor RF varies greatly.  Having the card at the same orientation the whole time eliminates a variable that you can control.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

Ok, I think the only way to have the card orientated properly through the entire survey is to have it vertically mounted without any obstructions.

Guru Elite

If that is what you believe, then do that....

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: