Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless antenna types and deployment design for stadiums?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Wireless antenna types and deployment design for stadiums?

Posted Mar 05, 2014 02:03 PM

Recently I have ran into 2 different suggestions about how to deploy a wireless network in a stadium and which antennas to use.  It appears that Aruba uses the Pico Cell layout by adding wireless patch antennas underneath the concrete seats and radiates frequency upwards.

Then I also watched another video about "Extreme Networks Stadium Wi Fi Tech Talk" which recommends the use of directional antennas for wireless stadium deployment.  In this video they talk about using directional antennas to radiate frequency in sections for example the 1st seat of a section to the top seat of the same section.  I'll add some pictures below which might help explain what I'm trying to ask.

Both theories seem that they work due to planning for capacity but I'm still questioning if other layouts exists for stadiums, which would work best, and what antennas are the best one's to use?

"Aruba Stadium Design Summary" http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/stadiumRFfund.pdf

"Extreme Networks Stadium Wi Fi Talk" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qte95Y8H51I

• 2.  RE: Wireless antenna types and deployment design for stadiums?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2014 02:38 PM
    there are several scenarios that Aruba describes as "standard" for stadium installs.
    1) under seat. this is literally what it sounds like. putting the AP under spectator seats. in this case omnis with allow or no squint deployed every 100 seats or so. topology uses body loss to isolate APs
    2) under seating section. if structure allows using a 60x60 ( e.g. D607) or 90x90 degree sector antenna (e.g. D805) are suggested. verification of penetration characteristics are necessary for each variation in structure.
    3) top down. this is a common topology for indoor stadiums or convention spaces. antennas deployed with the largest downtilt possible. they should have narrow bandwidths and low sidelobes. ANT-2x2-5314 and ANT-2x2-2314 are excellent examples of how this has been done the "right" way.

there are other variations and topologies but these get treated on an ad hoc basis.

stadiums cannot be deployed blindly. for this reason Aruba partners are usually engaged to engineer the solution for maximum operation and professional services capability is available to support this. please inquire with your local Aruba sales team.