Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless general questions on how they work

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Wireless general questions on how they work

Posted Sep 21, 2012 11:35 PM

Hello

I got a few questions regarding this  which i hope someone can asnwer them,  i got my asnwers i just want to know if im 100% correct.  Im just looking to understand better how the wireless network works.

Okay let start

I got  this different scenarios

Scenario 1

1 AP  2 vaps

AP is working on channel 1  on 2.4ghz

i got 1 client which is connected to vap 1 and another client connected to vap 2

vap 1 is on vlan 100 and vap 2 is on vlan 200

Okay  as far i know just one  client can access the channel at time... this means just one can talk in this channel in this example channel 1

Question 1 of scenario 1
    This mean that  or the client which is connected to vap 1 can send data OR the client connected to vap 2 can send data but BOTH cannot send data event if they are on different vaps or vlans

I am right here?

Scenario 2

1 vap, vlan poolin with 3 vlans

3 clients conneteed to that vap and each client is on each vlan let say client 1 is on vlan 100 client 2 is on vlan 200 and client 3 is on vlan 300.

Question 1 of scenario 2

In this scenario it would happen the same i guess even if they are on different vlans on the same vap just one client will be able to talk but not all at the same time

Question 2 of scenario 2

If it happen that client 1 on vlan 100 send a broadcast packet, he will send that broadcast packet to the AP, the AP will tread that broadcast as a lot of unicast as he just can transmit the packet to one client at one time?

Question 3 of scenario 2

In this scenario with vlan poolin when the AP recive the broadcast packet of the client on vlan 100 he will just send that broadcast packet to users on vlan 100 he wont by many means send that to users on other vlans connected to the same vap through the vlan pooling ?

Question 4 of scenario 2

client on vlan 100  and client connnected to vlan 200 connected to the same vap with vlan poolin cannot transmit at the same time because just one can transmit at a time and it doesnt matter if they are on different vlan on the same vap right?

Well thats it :)

• 2.  RE: Wireless general questions on how they work
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2012 12:30 AM

True to all.

Only one client can transmit at the same time, but they are very, very brief periods, so clients take turns having access to the medium so that it seems like they are transmitting at the same time.

• 3.  RE: Wireless general questions on how they work

Posted Sep 22, 2012 12:45 AM

thank you very much Collin

Just wanyed to be sure i was understanding how this thing work :) just one last question regarding the vlan pooling, okay on a vrd it says that vlan poolin reduce  the air traffic managment, how it does it? i have read that the traffic managment is reduced by doing less vaps which means less ssids and less traffic managment i read an interesting whitepaper about that a few weeks ago. anyways how vlan pooling help with this?

Does having a big broadcast domain somehow increase the air managment traffic?

• 4.  RE: Wireless general questions on how they work

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2012 06:10 AM

It is less VAPs, more than anything else, just like you said.  To  add capacity, alot of people just add another SSID for a different group of people.  VLAN pooling allows you to add capacity on the fly.

• 5.  RE: Wireless general questions on how they work

Posted Sep 22, 2012 10:44 AM

Thank you very much for enlighting me again :)