Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wyse Clients connection issue

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Feb 21, 2013 11:24 AM

We are having an issue with Wyse clients on our mobile carts in the hospital. The setup of the clients areas follows:

Wyse (model: C90LEW), USB keyboard + mouse, a badge reader for SSO, and a barcode scanner. The barcode scanner communicates witha base unit via bluetooth. Called TAC they said it is a client issue due to the bluetooth. But it is not happening all the time and is not affecting every devices. It is not the same clients having the issues. We have updated the wireless drivers to the latest ones and put a slightly better antenna. The APs have other users including guests, VoIP phones, IV Pumps without any issue.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Feb 21, 2013 06:15 PM

Could it happen that Wyse clients got trouble roaming?  can you check if it doesnt roam correclty?

Does it happens when you are walking wityour wyse...  or does it still happen when you are for example in front of the AP and not moving?

Do your wyse thin client support roaming? i have heard that some thin clients does not support it..

Also what version you running on your aruba controller?

• 3.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Feb 22, 2013 07:42 AM

They are able to ROAM. I have the NIC set to Roam High as suggested by TAC. The utility that comes with the NIC displays channel that it is connected on. I can also see it go from one AP to another on the controller and in AirWave.

It happens when the clients are walking and standing still. We have run a constant ping to a client and get about 3% to 4% packet loss over the course of 30 minutes.

We are running ArubaOS 6.1.3.5.

• 4.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2013 07:59 AM

@jcameron wrote:

They are able to ROAM. I have the NIC set to Roam High as suggested by TAC. The utility that comes with the NIC displays channel that it is connected on. I can also see it go from one AP to another on the controller and in AirWave.

It happens when the clients are walking and standing still. We have run a constant ping to a client and get about 3% to 4% packet loss over the course of 30 minutes.

We are running ArubaOS 6.1.3.5.

I am sure you are having problems, but I will say that, losing 3 pings out of 100 (if I understand your statement correctly) is GREAT  or even expected in a contention-based media that does not retry pings...

Ping is a good way to discover problems (like if you are losing 10%), but 3 to 4 percent seems about average.

What application are the Wyse clients running?

• 5.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Feb 22, 2013 02:54 PM

We are running Symantec Workspace Corporate (SSO using Windows Terminal Server). All the activity goes through the SSO, our EMR, Bedside Verification, Email, Web Applications....

We only started getting complaints after deploying Bedside Verification using the barcode readers.

• 6.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Mar 20, 2017 01:45 PM

Hi Cjoseph,

We also have some Wyse thin clients (3030 LT's) running MVD in a hospital environment with a dense AP deployment. We're running them on n40 on 5ghz band and are seeing the thin clients "hold" onto an AP, causing performance issues, eg., slow, unresponsive at times. We have client match enabled as well as ARM turned on for RF Management. However, we move one of our mobile carts far enough away from the ap it disconnects and then reconnects to the closer AP. Not sure why, but it seems like the power is either too strong either on the client, or the client match settings/roaming settings need to be adjusted. The thin clients will go from 300 Mbps with good connectivity 55% + down to 7 MBps and similar signal strength. Any ideas?

• 7.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Mar 20, 2017 01:54 PM

It turned out to be a combination of roaming set to medium instead of aggressive on the thin client ini file

And the committed rate for SSID ( in Aruba you can set this per ssid) we were still on the default 1 and 2mb –

We disabled 1 and 2 MB speeds –required 5.5 and enabled up to 54MBs this made a huge difference.

AP configuration – profile – virtual –ap – ssid -advanced

• 8.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Mar 20, 2017 02:13 PM

So I do see the rates you're referring to, however we are running on 5Ghz, and those basic and transmit rates aren't available on the A Band radio :/ although I am curious to see if adjusting the roaming settings on the client side would help.

• 9.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Sep 22, 2017 05:27 PM

Are you running a 5GHz-only SSID, or are you limiting the client to 5GHz via the .ini file (disableband=2.4G)?  We've found that disabling the 2.4G band on the client has helped roaming also, presumably because the client isn't wasting time scanning the 2.4 channels.

Contrary to most, we've also found that the clients behave better with roaming aggessiveness set to Medium (-70dBm). High (-60) had the client in a nearly constant state of scanning and unless the nurse is literally running with the cart, medium seems to keep up fine.

This all being said, the thin clients we have (3030's) still aren't the most accomplished roamers and lag can be an issue for Citrix.  I'm going to do some testing with 802.11r enabled to see if it helps, although I'm concerned about negatively impacting older clients that use the same SSID.

• 10.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Nov 08, 2016 09:34 AM

We are having similar issues, WYSE thin clients running MVD ( Citirx)

The clients only support 2.4GHZ, we have had to raise the power on the 2.4GHZ radios to get better reception. There are minimal settings on the clients, so not much in advanced wireless properties. The devices connect and even roam but have very bad ping times and the machines freeze. In air wave you can see the health depreciate below 50% and then return to 100%. This is frequent but intermitent. We are running 6.4.37 on 7210s with 225 APs. Just wondering if there is a 2.4GHZ radio setting we can adjust ? Not sure what log to see where the issue is?

• 11.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Nov 28, 2016 11:16 AM

Just a follow up here

we found by setting raom to aggressive (-60dbm) in the thin client ini file made a huge difference, we still have the issue of mounting the antenna outside the cart and we are inprocess of testing a 5GHZ unit.

• 12.  RE: Wyse Clients connection issue

Posted Nov 29, 2016 02:51 PM

For Dell/Wyse 5010 - 5012-D10D

There is a bug that causes the 5 GHz signal to be seen at about 10 to 15 dBm lower then 2.4Ghz.

The firmware that doesn’t have the 5GHz bug is 8.2_017

Apparently Client Support team of Wyse will be releasing a new firmware version in early 2017 that will include this fix.

If you are running thinos you could be having simular issues.

We found issues with Wyse not handling AP load balancing very well.

A