Wireless Access

MVP

able to set so many roles, but does it matter?

have been wondering about this for a while now and can't figure it out. when configuring a SSID with radius authentication, you can set the role (initial, user, server, default) on so many locations. but when the radius step fails, do you actually end up in any of those roles? my experience has been you just don't get anywhere.

am i missing something basic here or ...?

Guru Elite

Re: able to set so many roles, but does it matter?

boneyard wrote:

have been wondering about this for a while now and can't figure it out. when configuring a SSID with radius authentication, you can set the role (initial, user, server, default) on so many locations. but when the radius step fails, do you actually end up in any of those roles? my experience has been you just don't get anywhere.

am i missing something basic here or ...?

If Radius Authentication fails, you cannot pass any traffic, so it does not matter.  The initial role on a AAA profile is not used in a 802.1x scenario.  It is used for WEP, Preshared key, Captive Portal, where we want to enforce policy for "dumb" devices like handheld scanners that do not authenticate.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: