Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

adding a network interface?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  adding a network interface?

Posted May 03, 2013 02:48 AM

got an environment with a seperated VLAN which isn't routed on the network but does contain devices that should be monitored. can i just add an extra network interface to airwave somehow and setup it up with an IP in that VLAN?

• 2.  RE: adding a network interface?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2013 11:34 AM

Yes, you can use a 2nd interface to connect to the other VLAN.  This config is done in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, if you do this, I'd suggest also copying the config so that the backup will include it.  You can do something like this:

# cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-vlan2 /var/airwave/custom/ifcfg-vlan2.backup

Files in /var/airwave/custom are included in the backup.  Otherwise if you ever have to reinstall, you'd have to remember how you had configured the interface.

• 3.  RE: adding a network interface?

Posted May 04, 2013 01:50 PM

thanks rgin that is good news, going to try this soon and report back.

• 4.  RE: adding a network interface?

Posted May 14, 2013 03:31 PM

ok, so i shut down the AirWave virtual appliance, added a network interface in WMWare (type E1000) in another vlan and started it again.

dmesg showing:

e1000 0000:02:00.0: eth0: (PCI:66MHz:32-bit) 00:50:56:92:67:ee
    e1000 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

e1000 0000:02:02.0: eth1: (PCI:66MHz:32-bit) 00:50:56:92:67:ef
    e1000 0000:02:02.0: eth1: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

so far so good, but then

udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2

which of course causes an issue.

after some more editing in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ i got both interfaces up (as eth1 and eth2), but is the eth0 to eth2 rename something expected?

• 5.  RE: adding a network interface?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2013 03:48 PM

I wouldn't expect eth interface to be renamed.  Eth0 is special to AMP as it's the interface validating the IP address of the license key.

• 6.  RE: adding a network interface?

Posted May 14, 2013 03:58 PM

still the unit seemed to behave fine with eth2 configured with the config from eth0, also showing the details fine in the GUI, license is a trial one though.

found some hints about this behaviour while googling, will check tommorow it i can get it to get back the eth0 and eth1, i assume that is the situation that would be the best Rob?

• 7.  RE: adding a network interface?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2013 04:22 PM

Yeah, eth0 is the desired.  The eval license isn't IP specific, so it'll work regardless of eth setup.  You can ask TAC to provide an IP specific eval key if you want to see if there's a difference.

• 8.  RE: adding a network interface?

Posted May 15, 2013 05:44 AM

won't be needed, i got the interface back to eth0. not quite sure if adding the 2nd interface or the fact this was vmware clone caused the issue but anyway all is fine now.

if anyone ever run into the "udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1" or any other set of interface then look into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules which saves MAC addresses in combination with interface names. you can savely delete this file and have it generated with the updated MAC addresses, also check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to make sure no other MAC address is configured there.