Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

Posted Apr 30, 2013 02:59 PM

Hi! I bought 2 ap-93's. I wanted to set them up and start using them, and then somebody told me that i forgot to buy the controller and that it wouldnt work without it. He was a sales representative... so im not sure if he was 100% with me. Is any way to get these ap's working without a controller? Thanks!

• 2.  RE: any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 30, 2013 03:04 PM

If they weren't IAP models, he was correct.  A controller is necessary to use the access points.

• 3.  RE: any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

Posted Apr 30, 2013 03:20 PM

Thank you for your quick response. Somebody else told me that you could set them up using something called "mesh"?? Not sure if it exists or if it would actually allow me to set them up without a controller.

ithelpca from this forum post seems to have been able to do it.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points-and-Mesh-Routers/AP-93-mesh-and-need-to-use-different-VLANS/td-p/40562

Thanks for the help.

• 4.  RE: any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

Posted Apr 30, 2013 03:39 PM

Those turned out to be "instant" APs or IAP

Look on the bottom (or back) of the AP.  There should be a sticker with "AP-93" or "IPA-93" or possibly "IAP-93-US"

No "I" needs a controller, with "I" is Instant and will boot up and become it's own controller.

• 5.  RE: any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

Posted Oct 06, 2014 07:58 AM

Sorry for hijacking your string,

Could you tell me what is the minimum controller to purchase for say 3-4 ap93's?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: any way to operate 2 ap93's without controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2014 08:00 AM
    No. You would have to purchase the instant version (IAP-93)