Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ap-335's operating in restricted mode

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 01:54 PM

I have some new ap-335's and they are operating in restricted mode. The status light is flashing green and according to datasheet thats what flashing indicates. 

It says this is either due to the link not being 1gb or not enough power. All our Aruba ap's run on poe, we have mix of 105, 225, 135, 175 and now 335. all our switches are hp procurve 2910al (one 2920 due to hp warranty sending us the wrong replacement). I have hooked up 3 of the 335's on different switches and all have the same issue. 

when i look at the switch it shows they are getting 25.5w. I tried with and without lldp, no difference.

here is a snippit from debug report on the ap:

-----------------begin paste -----------------

Power Status
    ------------
    Operational State POE-AT: USB port disabled (Overridden by LLDP)
    ----------------- -----------------------------------------------
    Current HW State POE-AF: USB disabled, 1x1 chain for both Radios
    LLDP Negotiated POE Power 25.5W

----------------- end paste ---------------------

i am not sure what to make of this. it says its "operational state" is AT but the "Current HW State" is AF but its getting a reported 25.5W...

• 2.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 02:02 PM

forgot to mention that i verified link is gigabit, with another device and fluke link runner.

• 3.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:17 PM
    Does that switch support 802.11at standard specifically? It looks like just 802.3af...

The current HW state is what you need to pay attention to..

• 4.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:31 PM

it does support 802.3at.  the switch shows its delivering 25.5W.

the ap-225's we have dont have any issues, they use around 20W.

• 5.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:34 PM
    What version of ArubaOS is this?

• 6.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:35 PM

• 7.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 03:56 PM
      |   view attached

Is the System status LED or Radio status LED blinking? According to the install guide for the AP the System status LED flashing green means it either negotiated <1Gbps or the Ethernet radio is in non-HT mode. 

I've had a lot of PoE issues with the 325s. Usually when it is in PoE restricted mode the Radio light is blinking Green / Amber due to radios being tuned down. 

I've also understood the HW Current as being what the AP physically senses on layer 1 when plugged into the switch, which for PoE is 802.3af. Once the AP boots up it uses LLDP to negotiate with the switch to increase the power level. Hence you see the lower HW Current at 802.3af and the Operational current at 802.3at.

If you run the command "show ap details <ap-name>" that will tell you the stats on the radios. 

• 8.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 05:08 PM

when i ran ap details it says high through put is enabled. 

i posted a snippet of the ap debug info above.

above joel says "current hw state" is the important one which says its running in 1x1 mode. that is my main concern. 

• 9.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 28, 2016 05:26 PM

just to state it since i didnt clarify previously. the wireless/radio led is solid green.

• 10.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

Posted Dec 29, 2016 12:57 PM

any ideas how i can verify if it is operating in 1x1 mode?  that is my main concern, if its in 1x1 it is pointless to replace the 225 in that location.

• 11.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 29, 2016 08:11 PM

show ap debug driver-log will tell you if it is running in 1x1 mode.  It only turns on 1x1 on the 2.4ghz band...

• 12.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2017 04:05 PM

I opened a case with TAC for Aruba IAP325  Ver 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5_57965 for a similar issue i.e. IAP 325 running in restricted mode.

IAP1# show ap deb system-status | in POE

Operational State          POE-AT: No restrictions (Overridden by LLDP)

Current HW State           POE-AF: One Ethernet port disabled; USB port enabled; 1x1 chain for 2.4GHz; 16dBm for 5GHz

LLDP Negotiated POE Power  25.5W

TAC response was not to worry , all is well.  The current HW was the staus during bootup. The Operatrion State is what is imortant and it is running with no restrictions.

TAC : " I understand that the IAP is showing POE-AF in the current HW state .As I explained in the earlier mail while booting up the IAP will be in current HW state. When the IAP has negotiated the power with POE switch  it will be in the Operational state ." 

• 13.  RE: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 06:57 PM

It's likely you are seeing it blink because e0 is not negotiated to 2.5Gbps. Try plugging in to e1 and see if it stops blinking.