Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

are broadcasts clients see from the other clients or the controller?

I may be asking the most newb question here, but let's say I ran a wireshark capture on a wifi interface and was connected to an SSID many other users use.

I see numerous broadcast packets from other clients.  Several thousand per minute, in fact.  Are these broadcasts actually from the clients, ie. a person in the cubicle next to me sends a broadcast and I pick it up, or is it sent to the controller first?

Does the controller re-broadcast these packets? (My belief this is the case) If so, what kind of impact does this have on controller/ap/wireless performance?

Would enabling "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast Traffic" feature under VAP help increase performance?

Thank you for any input.  I know it is a relatively newb question to ask, but I'd like to know the way packets like these are processed.

Wireless newb
Guru Elite

Re: are broadcasts clients see from the other clients or the controller?

Broadcasts are from wired and wireless clients. The controller replicates broadcasts to every access point that has a user on the vlan with the broadcasts.

Turning on drop broadcast and multicast will increase performance, yes.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: