Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

aruba controller redundany

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  aruba controller redundany

Posted Feb 16, 2015 07:57 AM
      |   view attached

Hi all

Im trying to achive the attached architecture for Aruba Controller Redudancy. I have 3 layers

Top Layer where Master controller resides.

Middle Layer configured as Local Controller

Bottom Layer configured as local Controller.

Middle layer will also work as backup controller in case the bottom layer controller fails achiving N+1 Redundancy.

Now my problem is as these controllers are at diffrent sites, I can configure them in redundancy but user vlans are local to each site. If Bottom layer controller fails, i get connected to the mid-layer controller as Backup LMS, but as user vlan at the bottom layer is not defined at the mid-layer local controller, I am not able to achive user redundancy. User traffic is not getting through. 

All the aruba docs only pertains to AP redundancy or controller redundancy, but there is no mention of user vlan redundancy in case there is a L3 boundary between the two LOCAL controllers for the AP.

Looking for suggestions in respect to all the options that can be worked for user vlan redundancy in case the local controller goes down.     

• 2.  RE: aruba controller redundany

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2015 08:14 AM

You need to configured Named VLANs.  The Virtual AP in the global configuration would have  a VLAN name, instead of a number.  Each controller would have a Vlan Name to number mapping:

Please see the Community post here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-a-named-VLAN-and-how-do-I-configure-it/ta-p/181562

• 3.  RE: aruba controller redundany

Posted Feb 16, 2015 09:30 AM

thanks for your reply cjoseph. Will test the suggested.

My further doubt in respect to the same scenario is that also SSID is local to the 3 layer only, it is not to be advertised in the middle layer.

I only need to activate a VAP configuration on the middle layer for remote SSIDs in case there is a failure of the layer 3 remote controller.

Can you suggest how this will work.

Is there an option in which I can configure a backup VAP Profile kind of thing on the Master controller, so that if the Layer 3 controller is up it provides for a certain VAP profile, but as soon as it goes down, it will push a bckup profile on the APs, just like backup LMS config.

Thanks again

Looking forward for your suggestions...

• 4.  RE: aruba controller redundany

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2015 01:41 PM

Nitink,

You have a choice of where an access point goes when there is a failure (LMS-IP and Backup-LMS-IP).  You can also configure Named VLANs that will change based on where the access point ends up.  Have you taken a look at the Campus Redundancy Model here : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Campus-Redundancy-Model/ta-p/155584 ?