Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

band steer per ssid

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  band steer per ssid

Posted Jun 01, 2016 11:37 AM

Hi all,

Is it possible to have some users connect to 5 Ghz per ssid? we have huge environment of mixed  users of 2.4 and 5 GHz, we need the top manegment to always connect to 5GHZ on a specific ssid and the rest can connect to  either 2.4 or 5 GHz.

I dont want to use the option "force 5.GHZ' for band steering . OS is 6.4.4.4 and APs are mixed of 105, 225 and 325.

Thanks to all of you guys.

farah

#AP225

• 2.  RE: band steer per ssid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 11:44 AM

ClientMatch in ArubaOS 6.3 and controls the steering and is not defined at the SSID level, but at the radio level...  It will steer all devices and ignore the "band steering" configuration.  If you are running ArubaOS 6.3 and above and you have 325s, band steering is not being used.

• 3.  RE: band steer per ssid

Posted Jun 01, 2016 11:51 AM

Thanks Collin,

So I cant manually configure the mac-addresses of the management tablets to always connect

on 5 GHz on a specific ssid? im just trying to ignore Client Match in this process. for other staff the client match can do it magic.

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: band steer per ssid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:02 PM

The problem was with Bandsteering is that the 5ghz was not always strong enough for the client to connect if the "force" option was used, so it would create issues.  If you have good enough 5ghz coverage, you could consider broadcasting that SSID only on 5ghz.  That will guarantee that all devices connected to that SSID will be on 5ghz.  If you do not have good enough 5ghz coverage, the older band steering will hurt you.  The newer "Client Match" will check to make sure the client has good 5ghz coverage before attempting to steer them over.

• 5.  RE: band steer per ssid

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:17 PM

Hi collins,

i dont want to use ' force 5 GHZ", because we have some clients on 2.4 GHz only connecing to the ssid. My question is  can i do it manually for the speciffic tablets or not ? forget client match.

thanks

• 6.  RE: band steer per ssid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:22 PM

You cannot do that.

• 7.  RE: band steer per ssid
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 01, 2016 12:58 PM

Thanks collins and good job.