Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

band steering

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  band steering

Posted May 29, 2016 10:29 AM

Hi All,

i have been having some issue with band steering, i have configured "prefer 5Ghz" option and band steering is enabled. Now the issue is we have 4 users with devices that support 2.4 and 5 GHz. 3 devices were connected to 5 and 1 device connected to 2.4GHz. My question is why???

isn't the controller/AP suppose to steer him to 5 GHz, since the client supports it. If not , what could be the reason. And if i choose "enforce 5 Ghz" whould 2.4 GHz only users be able to connect?

Can we enable band steering per SSiD?

thanks to all of ya.

F. Allan

• 2.  RE: band steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 10:41 AM

What version of ArubaOS is this?  (ArubaOS 6.3 and above by default uses ClientMatch even if bandsteering is enabed).

What access points are you using? (Some access points do not support band steering by default)

Clients can still move back to the 2.4ghz band if it sees it stronger.  In the end, clients make the decision, they can be influenced by features by ClientMatch and band steering.  If you see too many clients on 2.4ghz band, you should lower the 2.4ghz power relative to the 5ghz power to encourage the client to choose 5ghz more consistently.

"show ap association" will tell you how many clients are in each category.

• 3.  RE: band steering

Posted May 29, 2016 10:44 AM

Thanks colling,

the software version is 6.4.4.4 and the ap is 325.

• 4.  RE: band steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2016 11:50 AM

Okay.  Only Client Match is in use.  Client Match works after client association.  You might want to lower the 2.4ghz power on the AP to make sure that client will stay on the 5ghz band.  Client Match can move the client, but if the client sees the 2.4ghz strong enough, it will attempt to move back.