Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

We carry three SSIDs across the campus. One of the SSIDs support gaming/IoT devices. In the document "RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks" the Recommended values for transmit and basic rates are as follows:

802.11 a & g: Basic rates: 12,24
802.11 a & g transmit rates: 12,24,36,48,56

The same document adds the following note: "If you have gaming devices connecting to the network , then add data rate 5, 6, 9, and 11 Mbps to the G radio basic and transmit rates". Changes to beacon rates are mentioned as well with respect to these values.

My question is: Do the transmit and basic rates HAVE TO be the same on all VAPs in an AP-Group for things to work smoothly? If yes, and given we support gaming consoles, are we bound to support the lower rates listed above across all VAPs?

Mike

Re: basic and transmit rates with multiple VAPs in an AP-Group

They do not have to be the same for all VAPs.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Regular Contributor I

Thanks for the info. I'm also going to try to test removing the lowest data rates for the gaming/iOT VAP. The though t being that the optimization tech doc might refer to older game consoles. It certainly seems like the newer consoles connect to both bands at higher speeds.

I think you are correct, most of the lowest data rates were from older consoles with really poor wifi driver implementations. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: