Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

captive portal cert upload error...

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 02:23 PM

Hey all,

I've done this many times but now when attempting to upload the cert (for use with the captive portal) I get the following error:

Error Uploading Certificate: Error in cert format

The cert is from godaddy.  I combined the contents of both .crt files into one as usual and turned it into a .pem

Aruba3400

It is a local

rif

• 2.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:14 PM
    you need to combine the root/intermediates/server cert and private key all together.

upload it as a server cert to the controller

• 3.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:22 PM

Thank you pmonardo,

Right, so I opened the two crt files with my text editor that I received from GoDaddy:

6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt 

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt

I copied the contents of those two files into one text file and renamed it in .pem format.  This has worked in the past but is now throwing this error.  Is the proceedure I am following different from what you recommended?

thanks,

rif

• 4.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:30 PM
    What order are you copying them?

It should go something like this

Root
    Intermediates
    Server cert
    Private key

• 5.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:36 PM

First I copied the contents of the file named 6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt which was just one "paragraph" and pasted into a text doc.  Then I copied the contents of the gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt file which was many "paragraphs" and pasted that into the text doc right under the contents

of  the previosly pasted 6dd8632d2b4a2b73.crt contents.  That is all there is.

rif

• 6.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 04:45 PM

Do you have an Ubuntu box? upload your bundel cert gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt and execute this:
    openssl x509 -inform der -in gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt -out certificate.pem
    Download your new certificate.pem and install.

if certificate is for the lab that you are not worry about security, use https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-converter.html
    upload your gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt and it will convert to your choice

• 7.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 05:33 PM

I do not have an ubuntu box readily available and am a bit perplexed as to why this method has worked for me in the past but now throws this error that I've never seen before...

rif

• 8.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 05:53 PM

I was in the same boat, but since I’ve discovered the openssl, life is a lot easier. See if you can request .pem from GoDaddy. My DigiCert can give me cert at any format that I request. Also make sure you use text editor like Notepad++, not MS Notepad or Word

• 9.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 05:57 PM

Hi ngutri,

So it appears that the .crt suffix (and the syntax of the cert when opened in TextEdit on my mac) indicates they are already in PEM format that is there doesn't appear to be the need for any kind of conversion.  Should combining the two .crt files into one TextEdit doc and them changing the suffix from .rtf to .pem just work?  It surely did last year....

rif

• 10.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2018 07:49 PM
    You need to combine the private key, server certificate and signing CA/intermediate.

• 11.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

Posted Feb 26, 2018 08:58 PM

Hi Tim,

With GoDaddy you get two files.  I combined them in textedit on my mac.  Is there another piece I am missing?  Also, I saw in a doc that one MUST use openssl for a captive portal cert and NOT the controller, is that true? sounds strange.

So you mentioned "private key, server certificate and signing CA/intermediate."  Should that all be included in the two files I got from GoDaddy?  I feel like a moran asking because this was just so easy last year...

rif

• 12.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 26, 2018 09:20 PM

Ok found the problem.  It didn't like going from .rtf to .pem  what it DID like was plain text to .pem  sheesh.

rif

• 13.  RE: captive portal cert upload error...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2018 09:21 PM
    The private key was generated when you created the CSR.

The intermediate will be in the chain file you received from GoDaddy.