Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

captive portal design

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  captive portal design

Posted May 04, 2014 06:43 PM

Hi.

I going to set up captive portal with 3400 controllers and I've got couple of questions.

Does captive portal require connectivity with DNS server before authentication?

Does controller need IP address for guest subnet and does controller have to be a gateway or I can use other device as gateway for guest subnet?

Is it possible to configure DHCP relay on controller for guest subnet?

Thanks for help,

• 2.  RE: captive portal design

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2014 06:47 PM

@mate78 wrote:

Hi.

I going to set up captive portal with 3400 controllers and I've got couple of questions.

Does captive portal require connectivity with DNS server before authentication?  - YES

Does controller need IP address for guest subnet and does controller have to be a gateway or I can use other device as gateway for guest subnet? - Captive Portal on the controller needs an ip address in the subnet of the guest network.  It does not have to be the gateway of the guest network, however.

Is it possible to configure DHCP relay on controller for guest subnet? - Yes, using the "ip helper-address" command on the controller's interface or on the interface of the gateway on that subnet.

Thanks for help,

• 3.  RE: captive portal design

Posted May 04, 2014 07:04 PM

OK. I'll try to configure captive portal according to this.

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: captive portal design
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2014 09:07 PM

Lastly, make sure that you use the ip cp-redirect-address command to point to the ip address of the controller on that VLAN:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-ip-cp-redirect-address/m-p/236/highlight/true#M49