Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

captive portal page on master and local controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  captive portal page on master and local controller

Posted Dec 28, 2011 04:23 PM

Hi;

On our network We are going to configure a master controller for the main office and a local controller for a branch office. for guest users We are going to configure a guest SSID using captive portal on both controllers.

For authentication and redundancy We must to configure the captive portal page on both controllers?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: captive portal page on master and local controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 28, 2011 08:37 PM

The captive portal configuration will be pushed, but the jpegs, html will not.  You need to configure that separately on the local.

• 3.  RE: captive portal page on master and local controller

Posted Jul 28, 2015 01:21 AM

I know this is old, but I am hoping you, Colin, will answer.

Do I need to install the captive portal certificate on the remote controllers as well?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: captive portal page on master and local controller

Posted Jan 09, 2012 10:48 AM

I think you had a reply confirming you need to import the captive portal content onto the local so it looks the same. That's cool.

Something else worth considering as you mentioned resilience:

If your master fails and you're using the local database to authenticate guests, your local won't be able to do this. This is because the local looks to the master for this authentication (which is centralised on the master). i.e. this database is not copied into the local controller. If your master does fail, the easiest temporary fix is to copy the local user database (assuming you have a backup) into the local manually, and then enable the local controller database check.

"aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch" (from config mode on the CLI).

Either that, or buy a dedicated backup-master controller!

• 5.  RE: captive portal page on master and local controller

Posted Feb 16, 2012 04:51 AM

I cant afford one more controller.  I will take a manual backup of Master controller databse and push to local controller and when ever master fails, will do

aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch

But How can I backup the database. Pl suggest

- Peter

• 6.  RE: captive portal page on master and local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2012 08:00 AM

@anishpeter wrote:

I cant afford one more controller.  I will take a manual backup of Master controller databse and push to local controller and when ever master fails, will do

aaa authentication-server internal use-local-switch

But How can I backup the database. Pl suggest

- Peter

On the first controller

local-userdb export <filename>

copy flash: filename tftp : <ip address of tftp server> <new filename>

On second controller

copy tftp: <ip address of tftp server> <filename> flash: <filename>

local-userdb import <filename>