Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

centralized licensing problem

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  centralized licensing problem

Posted Oct 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Dear everybody,

I tried centralized licensing in a master standby envirement, but i have some problem with it.

I uploaded all licenses to the master controller, than I created the master-standby redundancy and I enable the centralized licensing feature. The redundancy and the licensing server worked fine (I see our license key both of the controllers), but in the security/access controll tab lost the built in and my roles. I have pefng licenses both of my controllers and I can creat new roles, but the built in roles are lost.

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance for your reply

• 2.  RE: centralized licensing problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2013 05:06 PM

@zskardos@valkyr.hu wrote:

Dear everybody,

I tried centralized licensing in a master standby envirement, but i have some problem with it.

I uploaded all licenses to the master controller, than I created the master-standby redundancy and I enable the centralized licensing feature. The redundancy and the licensing server worked fine (I see our license key both of the controllers), but in the security/access controll tab lost the built in and my roles. I have pefng licenses both of my controllers and I can creat new roles, but the built in roles are lost.

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance for your reply

You might have made the Master a controller that did not have PEFNG FIRST and that is the configuration, without roles or policies, that synchronized...

• 3.  RE: centralized licensing problem

Posted Oct 26, 2013 05:09 PM

Thx, I will try it!

• 4.  RE: centralized licensing problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2013 05:12 PM

It might be too late, because once the configuration is synchronized, that becomes the global configuration and you probably cannot get it back.

The only way you could get back the configuration is to attempt to restore the config from the original master that had PEFNG.

• 5.  RE: centralized licensing problem

Posted Oct 27, 2013 03:16 AM

First I had pefng licenses in the master controller, but the backup controlller hadnt. (but vrrp status both of the controllers was "backup" at this moment, later the status was changed master-backup)

This setup is clean install!

First I did the next steps

1. network config

2. add licenses to the master

2. ha setup (vrrp, master-standby) (at the first moment i dont no why the master controller status was backup too)

3. licensing server setup

5.etc.

Everything was good but the roles were lost.

This could be the right way If I will do it afresh? (and I reckon, this way I cant spoil it)

1. network config

2. ha setup (vrrp, master-standby)

3. licensing server setup

4. add licenses to master

5.etc.

Thank you cjoseph!

• 6.  RE: centralized licensing problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2013 05:54 AM

Do everything on the master (licensing, vrrp, master redundancy configuration)

When the master is up and shows that is has control of the vrrp and is the master:

Setup the local

Setup the vrrp on the local at a lower priority and make sure it says backup 

Setup the local with master redundancy and make sure it says backup

Then turn on the centralized licensing.

Master redundancy triggers the configuration sync so you want to make sure that the backup that has no config is not joined to the master as the backup until the master is setup and advertising itself as master.

In the situation above the second controller might have gained control before the first and synchronized the blank config.

• 7.  RE: centralized licensing problem

Posted Oct 27, 2013 06:18 AM

Thank you!

I did it this way but I didn't wait enough time to change the master controller status to master.. it could be the problem. :(

My last question I promise :). What about if I delete pefng license, reboot controllers and I add again this license and reboot, can i recover the built in roles in this way?

• 8.  RE: centralized licensing problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2013 06:32 AM
      |   view attached

SSH into the master, get into enable mode and type "config t"

Copy and paste the contents of the attached file into the master

This list of firewall policies is from ArubaOS 6.3, so you will probably get errors if you use anything below that.  Sometimes you have to copy and paste it in twice for everything to reference properly.

Attachment(s)

txt
    firewall.txt   7 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: centralized licensing problem

Posted Oct 29, 2013 04:07 PM

Thank you very much! It works! :)