Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

clarity data missing

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  clarity data missing

Posted Apr 25, 2016 10:55 AM

Hello,

We have configured our controllers and AirWave to use AMON, we appear to be getting data successfully (is there a way I can be sure AMON is working?).

However we also turned Clarity on and we are not seeing any data for that (apart from a small amount of DNS data). Our default-amp group looks like:

Mgmt Config profile "default-amp" (Predefined (changed))
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Stats Enabled
    Tag Enabled
    Sessions Enabled
    Monitored Info Enabled
    Misc Enabled
    Location Enabled
    UCC Monitoring Disabled
    AirGroup Info Disabled
    Inline DHCP stats Enabled
    Inline AP stats Enabled
    Inline Auth stats Enabled
    Inline DNS stats Enabled

and the mgmt-server is configured on each controller:

List of Management Servers
    --------------------------
    Type Primary Server Profile
    ---- -------------- -------
    AirWave 172.28.208.170 default-amp
    Num Rows:1

Can anyone help with troubleshooting this please?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 25, 2016 02:32 PM

Hi there!

A few questions:

1. what AOS version is your controler running?

2. do you have different VLANs configured on your controller where your APs are terminated?

• 3.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 04:09 AM

Morning,

We're running 6.4.3.7

I'm not sure I understand your second question. We have Vlans configured for some of our vaps on the controllers (eg because we have many sites across the city we break coverage of eduroam up geographically, we have a Vlan for each region) , and we have Vlans for some locally bridged SSIDs. Does that answer your question?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:00 AM
    Is your controller configured using the loopback address ?

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 5.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:36 AM

Ah well, that's an interesting question!

We enabled AMON recently and had some issues making that work, one of the attempts to fix that was to change from using the loopback address for the controllers on Airwave, to using the non-loopback address. We believe we are now receiving data via AMON.

However it seems that the addresses for the controllers on Airwave have all been changed back to the loopback addresses - presumably a result of Airwave polling the devices and updating the details (or something one of us has inadvertently provoked it into doing)?

So the short answer is yes, we are currently using the loopback addresses.

• 6.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:38 AM
    A colleague of mine experienced some issues with AMON/AirWave when using the loopback address on the controller

• 7.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 10:40 AM

That's interesting, thanks.

Is there a way I can stop Airwave 'correcting' the addresses (it appears to change them back to the loopback addresses after a scan)?

I don't know if this is applicable but I see that there appears to be an option to set the controller IP at:

Groups -> Controller Config -> Local Config -> Network -> Controller -> Controller IPv4

Currently this is 'unset', if I change this to 'Vlan' and set the Vlan number to be the management Vlan of the controller will this solve the issue?

• 8.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:04 AM

This will be resolved in AirWave 8.2.0.2 due out very shortly.

• 9.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:32 AM

@clembo wrote:

This will be resolved in AirWave 8.2.0.2 due out very shortly.

Thanks for the reply - can I just clarify what it is that will be resolved? Is there an issue with Clarity that the fix resolves? Or do you mean that there will be a fix to stop Airwave from overriding the IP settings?

Also (mainly out of curiosity) do you know if the change to the Controller group IPv4 setting that I mention above (changing it to Vlan) would solve the Airwave reverting to the controller loopback address issue?

• 10.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:40 AM

Under certain circumstances the controller will send Clarity info to AirWave with a source IP different than the controller IP.   AirWave was not processing those AMON packets properly as a result, thus the lack of visibility for association, authentication, and DHCP data within Clarity.  The AirWave fix will process and populate the Clarity information properly.

I do not know of any way to stop AirWave from reverting back to the controller-ip or loopback as you suggest.  I think this is be design.

• 11.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 11:49 AM

Thank you, we'll wait for the upgrade...

• 12.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:39 AM

... and yes those addresses are configured on the controllers

• 13.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 01:40 PM
    Thank you clembo. That sounds like it may explain our issue as well where our first controller pair works fine with clarity, but our second identical pair (with difference being utilization of a VRRP) experiences the minimal clarity (just DNS data).

#AirheadsMobile

• 14.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 05:57 PM

@cbjohns:  if you only see DNS data; then this is what you are seeing.   Keep an eye out for 8.2.0.2.

• 15.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:55 PM

• 16.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 04:37 AM

Thanks for this. We'll apply the patch.

Out of interest though, we can't see anything in the release notes that is obviously referring to a fix for this issue, unless it is:

"DE25310 Symptom: All Clarity message timestamps now display values in uniform measurements
    (milliseconds), improving the granularity of client transaction data."

?

• 17.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 12:09 PM

We have applied this patch, but we still aren't seeing Clarity info. Has anyone else tried this yet and had success/failure?

• 18.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 12:36 PM

@Cauliflower: Can you confirm if you are getting AMON packets? Did you say your controllers are running .6.4.3.7?

• 19.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 12:59 PM

Hello,

It looks like we are receiving packets, and the AMON & PAPI processes are running on the server. However there does appear to be some packet loss showing and the CPU utilisation looks pretty high (we are currently spec'ing for a new server!). But it still seems odd that we aren't see anything at all in the Clarity graphs (except for some DNS info)

amon1.png

• 20.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 08:48 PM

Hi there,

Would it be possible for me to take a look at your server? Please email me directly at sameer.dronamraju@hpe.com with your convenient time and we will work on this. I'm from the AirWave Engineering team, btw.

• 21.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 04:00 PM

@cauliflower If you have applied the patch and are still not seeing Clarity information, please open a TAC case and let them know.     

• 22.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 28, 2016 06:04 AM

@cauliflower: Have you opened a case with Aruba TAC already? If not, I'd like to take a look at your AirWave server to understand more. Please email me (sameer.dronamraju@hpe.com) your convenient time, I'm from the AirWave Engineering team in India.

• 23.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 28, 2016 07:53 AM

@dsameer

Hello,

We are opening a TAC case, will let you know how we get on...

• 24.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted May 11, 2016 02:17 AM

Hello,

We had exactly the same problem with clarity. We have a firewall between the airwave server and the controllers and we saw that the firewall stopped traffic coming from the vrrp interface of the controllers to the airwave server. When we allowed that traffic in the firewall we got clarity information in Airwave. The conclusion is that the controller sends data for clarity to Airwave originating from the vrrp interface instead of the configured controller ip.

Running AirWave 8.2.0.2 and ArubaOS 6.4.4.6

• 25.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Jun 23, 2016 04:39 AM

Hello Cauliflower,

what was the result of your TAC case?

We have a similar problem: we are seeing Association ans DNS statistics in Airwave Clarity, but not seeing any data for the authentication and DHCP portions.

We don't have a loopback or VRRP configured, we have our amp and mgmt-server profile correctly configured (I verified all before sending this message)

We now just upgraded Airwave to 8.2.0.3, before it was 8.2.0.2 and in both versions this is not working.

I think we can't open a TAC case for this one, since this is a server with an eval key, since our customer is evaluating Airwave first before buying it.

Kind regards,

Thomas

• 26.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Jun 23, 2016 05:28 AM

Hello,

you can ignore my previous message, after waiting 1 hour after upgrade to 8.2.0.3 we are now seeing all clarity data

Kind regards,

• 27.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Jun 23, 2016 05:36 AM

Hello,

Actually we are running an eval version too (in the process of buying the full version). The TAC chaps did a webex session with me, they played around and came to the conclusion that the VRRP addressing was the issue - the controller is not expecting the AP data to come from the VRRP address and so the messages are dropped.

Aaaaaaah, just saw your most recent message! We have just upgraded too, but we see no improvement. Glad you are sorted now.

• 28.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 12:29 PM

cbjohns@: Did you get a chance to upgrade to 8.2.0.2? Please let us know if your Clarity dashboard shows data after the upgrade. Your patricular use case has been fixed as parf of the 8.2.0.2 fixes.

• 29.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Apr 27, 2016 07:46 PM

@ and @

• 30.  RE: clarity data missing

Posted Jun 23, 2016 06:17 AM

@cbjohns wrote:

@@clembo and @

Is not normal behavior. I'm receiving DNS data even if it succeeds. Should get that checked.