Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

combine radios for survey with Ekahau

Hello,

Our wireless survey team is having trouble with APs we use for surveying. Individual radios are showing as separate APs. We have just moved to using Ekahau (ESS). The survey controller uses a very simple config. Is there something on the controller to solve this, or is this more likely an issue with the Ekahau set-up?

Many thanks

Guru Elite

Re: combine radios for survey with Ekahau

You should be able to solve this problem within the Ekahau software.  Use the instructions here:  https://docs.ekahau.com/index.php/Working_with_the_Access_Point_List#Replacing_Single-MAC_and_Multi-MAC_Access_Points

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Thanks Colin, I had just arrived at that page as well! Apologies, I was probably a bit quick off the mark asking in the forum. I believe our wireless manager has tried combining the radios but we will try revisiting that in the light of those instructions... 

Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Sorry to reopen this, my colleague was previously asking about this.

We still cannot get the radios to combine when using ESS. They appear seperate whenever we do a AP on a stick style survey. Either (survey) controller based or instant survey AP based. Ekahau recommend turning on advertise AP name, which we have done on the controller based APs but this feature isn't supported for the instant APs. 

Either way, we can't combine the radios, automatically or manually (the option is greyed out). On large surveys in particular this makes them very complicated.

Interestingly, when surveying deployed APs, it combines the radios automatically!

Any help would be appreciated,

Alexander.

University Information Services
University of Cambridge
Guru Elite

Are you surveying with an access point that has multiple SSIDs or multiple bands that you want to have combined?  Did Ekahau say how they detect the same AP for combining and why it would not work on Instant?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Only one survey SSID but dual bands, 2.4 and 5. We want EES to realise that the dual bands are part of the same AP. It happy does this on our deployed CAPs if we survey what is in place already. It just won't do it on our survey APs.

I don't know re your second question but I can reach out to them again.

Thanks,

Alexander.

University of Cambridge
Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Is there anything further on this stuation?

Thanks

Alexander.

University of Cambridge
Guru Elite

If you have a case with Ekahau, please pass it onto us so we can speak with them directly.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: