Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

computers defaulting to machine auth

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  computers defaulting to machine auth

Posted Aug 13, 2013 10:26 AM

I'm having problems with windows computers defaulting to computer authentication when joining the wlan. It's an 802.1x network, with Clearpass as the radius server, not enforcing machine auth. 

When a user joins the network (domain joined computer or not), the computer immediately tries to machine auth and never tries to user auth. When looking at the network settings, it's hard coded to user "Computer Authentication" and not what I thought the default windows was - user or computer. Thoughts?

• 2.  RE: computers defaulting to machine auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2013 11:37 AM

that is the nature of Windows 7.  You need to lock that down with a Group Policy.

• 3.  RE: computers defaulting to machine auth

Posted Aug 13, 2013 11:39 AM

yeah we figured it out. NPS was configured to only look at group membership and never machine auth. So it has always been that way, just now seeing it since CPPM is looking at machine auth. I thought it was the default behavior but wanted to double check. Thanks Colin.