Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

configuring controller with multiple VLAN

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 03, 2018 08:13 AM

Dears

I'm facing issue that I configured controller with multiple VLAN

I have  2 SSIDs

any one of them has diffrent subnet but acctually just the controller managment subnet is reachable from network any other subnet is not reachable I mean SSIDs subnet even it is configured on both switch and controller 

is configuring Native VLAN on switch affect ?

• 2.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 03, 2018 08:53 AM

It depends on the way you configure the switch, the controller and the uplink between both. If you configured the uplink on the switch as trunk port and you tagged both VLANs, then you need to configure the uplink on the controller also as trunk port and tagged both VLANs on the port too.

Maybe you can show us the configuration of the controller and switch port?

• 3.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2018 10:23 AM

If you have a network diagram showing the VLANs, that would help.

The controller can act either as a layer 2 or layer 3 device. If it is acting as the layer 3 router for the SSID VLANs, the upstream network needs to know how to route those subnets back to the controller. Either a static route, or a dynamic routing procotol can be used for that. If the controller is acting as a layer 2 device and just passing the VLANs to an upstream switch for handling, then the infrastructure handles the routing. 

In your case, if the controller is just doing layer 2, then you would want to look at the trunking configuration including the native VLAN setting. If the controller is doing layer 3, then it's most likely a routing issue since the controller's management subnet is reachable.

• 4.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 03, 2018 06:24 PM

The digram 

there are 3 VLANS on the controller 

1-managment vlan 

2-1st SSID VLAN

3-2nd SSID VLAN

and there gateway for these VLANs on the switch and the native VLAN on the switch is the managment VLAN

so just the managment VLAN is reachable even others has gateway on the switch and the is no restriction 

• 5.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 04, 2018 02:20 AM
    Turki,

Could you provide the config from the switch port and the port on the controller? I guess that one of them is configured as access port and not as trunk port.

• 6.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 04, 2018 09:06 AM
    >From the controller the port conected to access switch in trunk mode
    And the configuration in core switch as following
    Vlan 10 managment vlan
    192.168.1.2 from controller side and from switch interface vlan 192.168.1.1
    Vlan 11controller side 192.168.2.2
    from switch interface vlan 192.168.2.1
    Vlan 12 controller side 192.168.3.2
    from switch interface vlan 192.168.3.1
    And the port configured
    Native vlan 10
    Allowed vlan 11, 12

• 7.  RE: configuring controller with multiple VLAN

Posted Aug 06, 2018 04:16 AM

Turki,

To help you it would be the best to see the actual CLI configuration from switch and controller.