Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

convert AP93 to Remote AP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 20, 2014 09:16 AM

Hi All,

what is the correct procedure to convert an AP93 to a Remote-AP? We want to deploy an Aruba3200 whit some APs at the headquarter and six others AP93 at a branch as Remote-AP.

The Headquarter deployment is workink ok, but with APs at the branch we have some issues.

Could some expert refresh me the correct procedure to deploy AP93 as Remote-AP?

Thanks,

Massimo

• 2.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 20, 2014 09:27 AM

Console into the AP and stop the booting process and the type the following:

>remote_ap=1

>save

>boot

On the controller you need to add that mac address to the RAP whitelist 

2014-02-20 09_26_42-Switch General Configuration.png

• 3.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 20, 2014 09:33 AM

Ok, but if the APs are already installed in the branch and I'm not be able to access the AP's console?

The APs have the pubblic IP of the controller as master and server IP, but they are still CAP. They contact the Controller (I see the APs on the "shoe ap database" with the public IP of the branch) but they continuos reboot, so I don't have the possibility to change them to RAP on the AP Installation page.
    The APs have always the flags "ID".

There is a way to convert branch APs in Remote-AP if we haven't physical access to APs?

• 4.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 20, 2014 10:06 AM

What you could do is increase the bootstrap threshold from 8 to 25 in the ap system-profile and see if that helps since the AP is having a tough time reaching the controller 

2014-02-20 10_02_03-AP Group.png

• 5.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 21, 2014 08:26 AM

I tried to change the bootstrap threshold up to 50 but the things don't change. The branch APs uptime become too long but the APs don't seem to respond to commands from "AP Installation" page of controller, when I try to set them as Remote-AP.

Wich can be the reason?

• 6.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 21, 2014 01:12 PM

Unfortunately you can't set that command remotely it has to be done through the AP console

• 7.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 24, 2014 11:35 AM

Hi Victor,

we go to the customer branch site today and I want to tell you that the CLI command "remote_ap=1" that you have suggested work fine! We do this command on every AP from the console port and now the APs are Remote-AP connected to the Controller.

Thanks for the support! :smileywink:

Massimo

• 8.  RE: convert AP93 to Remote AP

Posted Feb 24, 2014 01:05 PM

Nice!!!