Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  deploy ap's

Posted Dec 20, 2016 05:08 PM

I am new to aruba products and coming into a environment where the controllers and ap's are already inplace as well as airwave and looking to add new ap's. The ap's that were purchased are iap-335's. 

I am trying to find out options to streamline/automate as much of the deployment of these ap's as possible. i see options that talk about dhcp option 43 and airwave being able to configure instant ap's. 

Can anyone help me connect these dots?

• 2.  RE: deploy ap's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2016 05:53 PM

• 3.  RE: deploy ap's

Posted Dec 22, 2016 12:11 PM

I read through that and i did not see anything about joining iap's to a controller as campus ap's.

currenlty have option 43 and 60 configured but i do not see the iap's show up in airwave or the controller. If i manually convert it from iap to a campus ap then it shows up on the controller.

I would like to skip the step of having to touch each one to convert it. Is that possible? seems like its a no brainer, not sure why it wouldnt be possible. any ideas?

THanks!

• 4.  RE: deploy ap's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2016 01:27 PM

That can only be done through Aruba Activate through a conversion rule.  Please start with page 154...

• 5.  RE: deploy ap's
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2016 01:33 PM

To be clear, here are the steps:

1.  Request a Login at activate.arubanetworks.com (you will need the serialnumber and the mac address of the AP

2.  Add your IAPs to activate using the Cloud Activation Key http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Where-we-can-find-Cloud-Activation-Key-on-IAP/ta-p/203205

3.  Create a rule in Activate to Convert IAPs to Campus APS or RAPs

4.  Move your APs into that Folder

5.  When IAPs boot up, they check into activate to see if there is a rule applied.  If there is no rule, it just boots up as an IAP and broadcasts the Instant SSID.

If your company orders more Aruba Products they should automatically get added to Aruba Activate where you can move them into different folders depending on what you want them to do..

• 6.  RE: deploy ap's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2016 01:38 PM

@belac wrote:

I read through that and i did not see anything about joining iap's to a controller as campus ap's.

currenlty have option 43 and 60 configured but i do not see the iap's show up in airwave or the controller. If i manually convert it from iap to a campus ap then it shows up on the controller.

I would like to skip the step of having to touch each one to convert it. Is that possible? seems like its a no brainer, not sure why it wouldnt be possible. any ideas?

THanks!

I understand that it would be inconvenient to convert the IAPs one by one or use activate.arubanetworks.com to do it.  If you can bring up all of your APs in a single cluster, you can convert them all at the same time using the convert option.  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-convert-a-whole-IAP-cluster-as-Campus-APs/ta-p/215053