Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

distance supported by IAP-277?

Hi guys,

I'm planning to design a point to point outdoor AP within a campus.

will IAP-277-RW(integrated directional antenna connectors) can support up to 650m of distance?

or is it preferred to use IAP-274-RW with external antenna connectors?

wireless link will carry SAP, Oracle, web browse etc within less than a hundred users within a flat network.

what could be the "effective bandwidth/speed"  and ideal components for this?

thank you very much for any recommendation :)

Re: distance supported by IAP-277?

So 650m is supportable with the 277 *IF* 

a) the RF channel is clean and there's not a lot of interference on the resident PtP channel

b) there is good line of sight between the two APs (applies to any PtP though).

Expected throughput should be around ~250Mbps (HT80), 150Mbs (HT40), 100mbps (HT20) for a 277 PtP at 650m. 

If you need MORE speed (figure 350Mbps HT80, 200Mbps HT40, and around 100Mbls HT20) *OR* you have a bunch of interference in the area where you need much smaller / narrower antennas to get more RF isolation, the a 274+5314 will be your goal on each end.  

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you very much Sir,

May I ask, what could be the differences, if I use the following items as options?

MST2HAC MST200
PD-9001GR-AC

The MST200 is an 11n AP (not 11ac) so it will not be as fast, it also is 5Ghz only for mesh, so if you wanted to support an outdoor client SSID, you would need another AP of some kind. Rought throughput is approx 50-90mbps at 650m depending on environment and configuration.

Jerrod Howard

can the AP 277 reach  1 KM ?

Raouf CHAHBOUNE
ICT Network & Security Engineer
CCNP R/S | CCNA Security | ACMP|ACCP|ACDX

[If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.]

It can, so long as the RF environment is clean. If it's in an urban area orthere's a high noise floor and/or lots of interference, you will want the 274+5314 to maximize isolation and gain. 

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Distance supported by IAP-275 / IAP-365?

Good morning people,

I would like to know some information about the reach of outdoor radios:

What is the approximate maximum distance that the IAP-275 / IAP-365 wireless signal (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) can reach in an open area with no obstacle (eg a parking lot 8 meters high on a pole)?

What is the approximate maximum distance a mobile device (smartphone / tablet) can reach to connect to an IAP-275 / IAP-365?

What is the maximum recommended distance for connecting mobile devices (smartphone / tablet) to connect to an IAP-275 / IAP-365?

In a mesh network between two IAP-275 (open area without barrier), what maximum distance it recommend that can be installed.

Re: Distance supported by IAP-275 / IAP-365?

Recommended design guidance:

AP-275 - 150m radius

AP-365 - 100-125m radius

Maximum tested client range:

AP-275 - 200m radius

AP-365 - 175m radius

Maximum observed distance

AP-275 - 300m to phones/table, 600m to a macbook pro3 in clean RF (requires modifications to AP radio, HIGHLY dependent on client)

AP-275 mesh range

easily 500m, we have done up to 1km, but not recommended. If you need more than 500m, use the AP-277. Note that mesh is HIGHLY dependent on RF environment, if it's clean or noisy, channel availability, etc. 

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Distance supported by IAP-275 / IAP-365?

jhoward, many thanks for the feedback

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: