Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

dot1x and RAP issues

Hi guys,

i have a lab environment with RAP setup and dot1x client connected to it.

the RAP connects via L3 routing to the controller.

i have a case in my customer site and re-created the case in my lab, the issue is when my RAP losses its connection to controller (persistent RAP), the RAP able to survives and stays broadcasting its SSID but the client would dis-associate itself after several minutes.

the minutes of disconnection client is pretty random. when i tried in my customer site, the user would dis-associate from the SSID randomly between 5-20 minutes. i use clearpass in my customer site.

when i recreated this issue my lab environment, the client dis-associate around 30 minutes. i uses NPS in my lab.

i have re-authentication in AAA disabled, client blacklisting after fail authentication also disabled. anyone ever experience this similiar issue?

tried to debug both the client and AP but i cannot get anything related to the issue.

client debug shows empty log when the RAP disconnects from the controller, even after the RAP re-provisioned, there are no entry about the client.

ap-debug doesn't show anyone for me. but just in case, i attach my ap-debug result.

thanks in advance. been struggling with this thing for few days now.

Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Guru Elite

Re: dot1x and RAP issues

[ Edited ]

Is this a 802.1x (username and password) or a WPA2-PSK network?

Is the SSID bridged?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Hi Colin, this is RAP, bridged, dot1x.
I have tested both PEAP and TLS with the same result.
Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Guru Elite

You can try to set the number-ipsec-retries parameter in the ap system profile to 0 so that the RAP does not reboot:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/ap_system_profile.htm?Highlight=ap system-profile ipsec

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Hi Collin, thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try tomorrow.
But my RAP doesnt reboot. It keep broadcasting ssid while my client disaasociates.
Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Guru Elite

Well, it is just a suggestion.  I would open a TAC case if that does not solve it.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

I will try your suggestion and open a TAC case if that doesnt solve it as you said. Will update it here once i got a solve.
Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Aruba Employee

Hi Ricky,

Please let me know the RAP model & firmware version running on the controller.

Lets say the RAP is up on controller & client is connected to it.

If the controller goes down the bridge-persistent SSID will still stay up & client will stay connected to it.

Can you check if the client is able to reach the gateway once the controller is unreachable ?

As Colin mentioned, RAP is going to reboot after 85 retries as well.

Frequent Contributor II

Hi Nitesh,

i am using multiple different controller, RAP, clients, and AOS. i am starting to suspect the problem is in the configuration. is it anything specific i need to do to achieve my goal?

in my first lab i use 7010, RAP 325, RAP 207. i use CPPM for the dot1x in this lab.

in my second lab i use 7005 and RAP 93. i use NPS for the dot1x in this lab.

same problem occur in both environment. i have tried AOS 6.4.4.9, 6.5.0.0, 6.5.1.0, 6.5.1.1, 6.5.1.2, 6.5.1.3

for testing, my client keep doing ICMP ping to the gateway. all smooth untul the client dis-associates and all ping failing.

RAP reboot is not the problem because when the client dis-associate, my RAP still broadcasting the SSID. i have config the bootstrap and ipsec timeout to zero.

Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Aruba Employee

Hi Ricky,

I recently came across an issue where clients won't pass traffic when connected to bridge-persistent mode SSID once the controller goes down.

That would get addressed in the upcoming releases.

I would suggest to open a TAC case so that outputs can be analyzed.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: