Wireless Access

MVP

filter broadcast multicast question

Okay i got a client which has no idea if he is using multicast in his network... he has some cisco wireless ip phones...

And well im not sure if i should activate it... well i  could to try but im not sure if these kind of thing use multicast

For now i didnt have any issue with is becasue none of the clients were using multicast over the air....

But my question is

If the clietn is using mulitcast i cannot turn on this feature? or i can turn it on but i have to turn or something else to make it work?

I want to activate this feature because the client got lot of problems with their wireless network and i got like a list of things im dong but this is one of the list...

Anyone can help:)

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
MVP

Re: filter broadcast multicast question

Not sure I follow the question, but you can support multicast over the air, and we have a few additional capabilities in how we support multicase over the air, specifically we can support converting multicast to unicast over the air at a level specific to the number of multicast streams that have been subscribed to. Grab the user guide and look up the section on Multicast, and from there you can start to weigh your options as far as how and at what ratios you convert multicast to unicast, and when over that number it stays multicast.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
MVP

Okay there is an option called Drop broadcast/multicast on the VAP

What i want to know if that if i just can enable that if multicast is NOT userd on the air, let say im using ip phones or something that use mutlicast then i wont be able to use it? or  i can use it but i have to do something else to make it work?

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Super Contributor II

Hello Nightshade1
have you find any answer of this???
Please let us know if you...
Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
MVP

The wireless cisco phones require multicast , if you enable drop broadcast is going to impact your connection.

You could enable the following:

DMO

Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast under the VAP 

IGMP under the voice VLAN

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

Meaning enabling drop broadcast will impact any connection that requires multicast to function

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: