Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

focusing on single client

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  focusing on single client

Posted Feb 13, 2018 11:47 AM

Have a user that's complaining of inability to access web when in her office (which has an AP 105 hung in it), but is fine when we have her come over to our building. 

Looking at client detail (she's back in her office), I'm seeing decent numbers, at least currently. Any suggestions on where else to look in Airwave?

Auth Errors0≤ 1
    Avg. SNR41 dB≥ 35 dB
    Health83%≥ 50%

• 2.  RE: focusing on single client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 12:43 PM

If you can replicate this, you should configure user debugging for that client, replicate it, then give the logs to TAC.

config t

logging level debugging user-debug <mac address of user>

• 3.  RE: focusing on single client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 12:46 PM

Is this a controller-based deployment?

Is that AP-105 broadcasting that SSID? (show ap bss-table | include <name of ap>).

What is the transmit power of that AP?

What kind of client is this?

You should remove the AP from her office or turn it off and see if she is okay after that.

• 4.  RE: focusing on single client

Posted Feb 13, 2018 01:11 PM

I like using this command also:

sh ap client trail-info “user MAC address” - show why the user deauth reason, alerts and mobility trial

• 5.  RE: focusing on single client

Posted Feb 13, 2018 03:54 PM

controller based, yes

105 is broadcasting the SSID

Win10, I believe a Dell laptop

tX on the 105 = 9 dBm

• 6.  RE: focusing on single client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 04:08 PM

If there is enough coverage, you should remove it from the office.  What are the other APs and what encryption is being used?

• 7.  RE: focusing on single client

Posted Feb 14, 2018 03:08 PM

I think that's why they put the 105 in her office originally, weak coverage... offices from late 60s, concrete walls.

There are 2 225s close to her, and everything is WPA2

• 8.  RE: focusing on single client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 03:13 PM
    Try upgrading the drivers on her laptop to the latest, to start..

• 9.  RE: focusing on single client

Posted Mar 02, 2018 11:50 AM

OK, drivers did need update. 

In the meantime I stumbled upon the Client Detail tab of Airwave, and I'm drooling... if only I knew.

I zoomed in on the client, and can see in her avg. SNR chart that she's been weak, also that her laptop's been bypassing the 105, holding on to the 225 down the hall.

So at least I can measure the issue. 

Going to remove the 105 and try a 225, my only fear is that it will cause a problem for different users.

• 10.  RE: focusing on single client

Posted Mar 23, 2018 10:25 AM

I would definitely remove the 105. I know there are mixed feelings about this but I don't recommend mixing WiFi technologies in a building.  The wifi adapter by nature is going to want to connect to the faster AP if its capable.