Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

getting too much signal from floor below

I'm trying to redo the AP layout in a campus building (weak spots, lopsided arrangement), and wondering what are people doing when APs on the floor below are penetrating up

I'm doing readings on the top floor (4 story building) where at various points I'm seeing 7-8 addl. BSSIDs with RSSI in the -60s, several of which are coming from the floor below.

I guess I'm wondering how do I know how to rearrange whats on this floor, when my signal measurements may be impacted by what's below me? Should I power off those 3rd floor signals, so that I only have the 4th floor APs to deal with, and then redesign the 3rd floor once I have the 4th complete?

Super Contributor II

Re: getting too much signal from floor below

coverage from the floor below isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you're trying to do RTLS or having roaming issues. you should ensure you don't have excessive channel overlap and if necessary turn down the power on the radios. 

make sure you've done a proper survey / RF design to ensure you're using the right power levels. 

Are you mounting the APs horizontally on the ceiling or vertically on a wall?

Frequent Contributor II

APs are all ceiling mounted, and I believe floors are 10ft apart.
Frequent Contributor II

"you should ensure you don't have excessive channel overlap and if necessary turn down the power on the radios." 

"make sure you've done a proper survey / RF design to ensure you're using the right power levels."

Scott (or anyone),

Do you know if there is a way for ARM to distinguish signals coming from different floors, maybe based on folder or group designation?

I'm hearing what you're saying about turning power down, but that seems like I'm stepping on ARM's toes... I'm OK with doing that, but I wonder how common that is with other users of Aruba.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: