Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

gvrp

Is there a way to enable gvrp on aps (205h and 215)? I have 802.1x sending users to certain vlans (bridge mode). The only way it is working is for me to manually tag the ap switch port for the vlan. Would be awesome if gvrp could do this for me.

My setup

7210 in data center

300+ 205h / 215 in 5 locations

ArubaOS 6.4.3.8

Thanks

Tom

Guru Elite

Re: gvrp

what is gvrp?

The user VLAN for each SSID needs to be trunked to each access point in a distributed setup like Instant.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

gvrp

http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/RA/15-18/5998-8155_ra-2620_atmg/content/ch02.html

gvrp would do auto tagging so I would not have to manually do 300+ aps

Tom

Guru Elite

Tom,

If you have 300+ APs, you should consider a controller, instead. You would only have to tag the VLANs on a single interface between the controller and a layer 3 switch..

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

I do have controller 

7210 in data center

Dont follow this

You would only have to tag the VLANs on a single interface between the controller and a layer 3 switch..

I have all hp switching so will use their 802.1q commands

Ap 205h untagged vlan 110 (native vlan for the classroom the ap is in)

When a student logs in I want to drop them in vlan 72

When a teacher logs in I want to drop them in vlan 75

This works when I

vlan 72 tag port_of ap

vlan 75 tag port_of_ap

If the ap did gvrp, the switch would see vlan 72 traffic and auto tag the port.  Or, am I missing something?

Tom

Guru Elite

So you have a single controller in the datacenter and all user traffic will be bridged to the local network through the AP, or will all user traffic be tunneled to the controller?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Bridged otherwise I would tag at the controller??/

Tom

Guru Elite

I don't know anything about GVRP and maybe someone should chime in.  

But from a design perspective:

If none of your APs tunnel any user traffic back to the controller, the design decision should be instead to have Instant AP clusters at those locations, instead of having to send back VLANs per site in a controller-based design.... 

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Some will tunnel (guest).

I agree I should have been sold IAP versions. Don't see why any other version is sold. IAP can do them all (campus, rap, iap).

This is what I want to do. Looks like iap only???

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wired-Networks/Pre-provisioning-VLAN-in-MAS-using-GVRP/ta-p/166292

Tom

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: