Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

high availability/fast failover question about SLAVE role

Hi,
I have got a new Aruba 7005 to install as slave for the master. However I have a question that I couldn't find answer into the documentatio:

I have the MASTER and SLAVE that the see each other and the are able to work as expected, however into the SLAVE I don't have/see any AP configured. So, I was wondering if first I need to add the APs on the second controller and then configure as slave

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: high availability/fast failover question about SLAVE role

Did you read the chapter here? http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm?Highlight=Redundancy

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

It depends to which controller you are pointing your Aps to .

IF you have HA/FF you can define the controllers that will be part of your HA Group and under AP-Group > AP System Profile > you then point the AP to the main controller and the AP will use any of the other controllers in the list as backups .

To see if there's a standby tunnel created you can run the show ap database and you will see the "S" Flag which stands for Standby tunnel
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Here's a good article that explains how it works:
https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-high-availability-fast-failover-feature-work-and-how-to/ta-p/177468
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

So, this is the only part found about the AP related to HA config

"When the AP first connects to its active controller, the active controller provides the IP address of a standby controller, and the AP attempts to establish a tunnel to the standby controller. If an AP fails to connect to the first standby controller, the active controller selects a new standby controller for that AP, and the AP attempts to connect to that standby controller."

What does it mean? Do I have to reboot the AP after the MASTER/SLAVE is configured.

I'm finding extremelly difficult work with Aruba! I spent a lot of time trying to understandthe documentation as it is always to much generic and dispersive.

Thanks anyway for your help

Guru Elite

You do not have to reboot the AP. When the AP finds that first controller, it gets its instructions from the first controller it finds.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. How can I verify if the APs/SLAVE have found each other?

Guru Elite

There is no "slave".  Do you have your controllers setup as a master/local?

Colin Joseph

Yes,

They are MASTER and LOCAL

Guru Elite

You type "show ap database" on the master controller.  The "standby ip" column should list what is the standby controller ip addres that AP is pointing to.  0.0.0.0 means that no ha is configured.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: