Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 04, 2016 08:33 AM

hi everyone

probably i'm about to fry my all AP due to high temperature on AP-205

why AP are too much high temperature ? how can i reduce temperature on AP, because it is too much temperature on AP, to be honest i can't hold AP by hand because it too much heat

even the room is pretty cold but the AP is like a cooking heater.

any idea to resolve this issue

thanks

Regard

Tej Bahadur

• 2.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2016 08:38 AM

While they may be warm, they should be perfectly safe to install and operate.  Is this an AP-205 or an AP-205H? How/where are they installed and how are they oriented?

• 3.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 04, 2016 08:52 AM

it's AP-205 Controller Base the controller 7030,

No way this is normal/safe to be honest with you it is really like a Cooking heater, i'm not joking

i have not yet installed this is all brand New, i;m unpacking and connecting to controller one by one

i only connect AP like a 20 to 25 minute for initial setup, after AP connected to controller i removed cable to mount AP to celing

i found this high temperature while AP initial setup time

if i keep AP like this i think AP will be fry after couple of hrs honestly

• 4.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2016 09:54 AM

You can open a TAC case, and if you can get ahold of an infrared thermometer or a FLIR/IR camera to document it, that would be great.

• 5.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 05, 2016 04:33 PM

sorry i do not have infrared thermometer or IR camera, 

i was thinking whether these AP mount in celling or ship all AP to store, still i haven't mount AP because of too much heat.  

there must be someting wrong either AP hardware quality Low or there requires to configure to reduce temperature.

if i do not found solution i will ship back all AP to store. because client not accepting because of heat, the client is telling me my building will get fire by this Access point, and i think it may get fire by AP. 

my client not leting me to install he is telling me either find solution or go for other brand. 

now i'm in trouble what to do. 

please find any solution for me because i dont want ship back AP.

thanks. 

Regard. 

Tej Bahadur 

• 6.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2016 04:47 PM

Your next step would be to open a TAC case, and likely return one of them for FA (Failure Analysis). Chances are they will be fine. There's not much of any configuration change I can think of that would decrease the temperature, short of turning off the radios. 

• 7.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2016 04:49 PM

To add, all of our APs are tested under load at the upper end of our operational temperature limits, and then from that, our UL testing and certification is done. Short of a malfunctioning AP, *or possibly a malfunctioning PSE device supplying TOO much power to the AP* (never seen that happen, but I guess it could be a possibility), there is (or should not be) any circumstance where there is a real fire danger. If we exceeded any UL combustible temps, we would not be able to sell it for installation in those kinds of environments. 

• 8.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted Oct 13, 2016 10:18 AM

Hello,

Ours are AP-205H access points.  They are running off power supplies because they are supposed to go home with staff.  The power supply is not warm.  The IR thermometer reads 130 degrees on the back of the access point.  I will open a ticket.

• 9.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 04, 2016 10:28 AM
    they are talking about a 300 series but if you search here for "disecting an ap" you will see that they talk about the back of the ap being a heat sink, it seems hot but it is supposed to be.

#AirheadsMobile

• 10.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 05, 2016 04:29 PM

We never got around to trying to fry eggs on a 205H but all hundreds of ours are still working just fine despite being too hot to comfortably hold in the hand.  Make sure there is airflow through the back heatsink, which means, don't mount it sideways -- the air should be able to rise through the slots.  Doesn't hurt to mount it to a metal telco box either so heat can escape down the wire mold.  Also try to keep the patch cord away from the heat sink -- we've actually come back to a few of them to find some of the outer cladding looking a little heatshrunk.

• 11.  RE: how to Reduce temperature on AP-205

Posted May 05, 2016 04:46 PM

If our 205H's are any indication, when relatively idle they should be drawing 8 to 9 watts.

This will show up as 8000-9000 mW if you do check the switch supplying the power.

(on a MAS, the command is "show poe")

Check yours at the customer site.  If they are drawing significantly more than that, something in

the configuration may be making them work extra hard.  We run in decrypt-tunnel mode, so in theory

ours may be working harder than some other places, and most of our APs are using around 8300mW.

There's a reason these things need PoE+ -- they use a lot of power at peak, and almost all of it

ends up being CPU waste heat that needs to be jettisoned.  If your customer  needs something

that runs cooler you may not be able to use 11ac with today's chipsets -- but the power draw will

tell you approximately how hot the AP will get, though the size of the heat sink matters as well.