Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

how to hide SSID from broadcasting on Aruba7210 mobility controller

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  how to hide SSID from broadcasting on Aruba7210 mobility controller

Posted Mar 31, 2015 10:24 AM

Hello,

I'm new to Aruba. 

We have 4 SSIDs through Aruba 7210 controller and I am tasked to hide one of the guest SSID because we are phasing out the the old guest to new guest SSID

My question is I found the option of hiding SSID under SSID.

but looks like all the SSID even the ones that are broadcasting has this option checked. 

So just checking the option does not seem to hide SSID.

Do I also have to select option to Deny_Broadcast Probes?

Or this is not the right way to disable the broadcast of SSID? I still need that SSID to be enabled but disable broadcast of the SSID. 

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: how to hide SSID from broadcasting on Aruba7210 mobility controller

Posted Mar 31, 2015 11:08 AM

Under SSID Profile > Advanced >

2015-03-31 11_07_30-AP Group.png

• 3.  RE: how to hide SSID from broadcasting on Aruba7210 mobility controller

Posted Mar 31, 2015 12:14 PM

Hi,

When you hide any SSID, still one can connect to that by knowing the SSID, if you configure a client with SSID, client will send a probe request with that SSID, and AP will send back Probe response and then association process can be completed, this is called Active scanning.

In order to prevent this, we need to configure the AP to send back the probe response hence we need to check "Deny_Broadcast Probe" along with "Hide SSID"

Or if you don't want to use that SSID temporarily you can disable by unchecking "SSID enable"