Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

iPhone and Android connections problems

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Aug 30, 2014 05:04 PM

First forgive me if there is already a topic out there for this problem. I searched and couldn't find anything.

We are a K-12 that has deployed AP-135's in every classroom throughout our secondary schools. I have  Student, Staff Personal, Staff and Guest networks set up. Student, Staff personal and guest are all authenticated through separate captive portals agains a microsoft radius server. It seems that most are able to authenticate and access the network just fine. However I have a handful of students and staff that claim they can't access the captive portal page. This seems to be a mix of Apple and Android devices. Both are saying they connect to wireless just fine but they can't get the captive portal login page to show up. This is the captive portal built into the controller. We do NOT have CPPM yet but are looking into it.

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Aug 30, 2014 06:24 PM
    Do you have an IP on the VLAN interfaces for these networks in the controller? Also do you have the bypass apple captive portal assistant turned on?

• 3.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Aug 30, 2014 06:57 PM

I do have IP's on the vlans. bypass apple captive portal assistant is not turned on. I'm guessing it should be?

• 4.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 31, 2014 12:22 PM

Go to configuration-->Authentication-->L3 Authentication--->Select the captive portal profile you are using and check apple bypass

bypass.PNG

Question

With a windows computer it works fine? if you access the same network? it just dont work with apple and some androids?

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Sep 01, 2014 07:41 PM

Thanks Carlos. I have made that change. We'll see how it goes when classes resume in the morning.

Yes, Windows computers worked great but there were a handful of both iPhones and Androids that would never get the captive portal page.

• 6.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Sep 01, 2014 08:07 PM

If that does not work  for apple products try this

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/OCSP-captive-portal-issues-apple-laptops-amp-firefox/td-p/82456

Normally that works but i had a client in which even with the bypass on they had issues with captive portal and some apple devices.

i added those to the role and that fixed it.

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: iPhone and Android connections problems

Posted Sep 11, 2014 08:03 AM

Thanks for the help. That seems to have done the trick.