Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

increase signal strength for AP-175P

Hello.

I've got a setup with several AP-175Ps with D607 antennas and controller which need to cover area. There are places where there is no signal or signal strength is very low. Currently the gain for antenna is set to 7 dBi and transmit EIRP is 25 dBm. Are those the maximux values? Are there any other values that might increase signal strength? How can I check current transmit EIRP on each access point?

MVP

Re: increase signal strength for AP-175P

You can lower the antenna gain in the configuration to get higher EIRP. The TX-power will be adjusted by the IAP based on the country's regulatory domain Max EIRP and the antenna gain you fill in.

ACMX#255 | ACMP | ACCP | AWMP
www.securelink.nl
Frequent Contributor I

What value do you recommend for antenna gain?

Guru Elite

The D609 is a 60 degree sector antenna.  Please take a look at your coverage area and make sure that antenna is appropriate for that application.  Clients on the left and right of the antenna not getting coverage is indication that you need an omnidirectional antenna instead.  This antenna is used frequently for point-to-point coverage as opposed to client coverage due to its focused coverage.

What do you have to cover?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

[ Edited ]

It's a warehouse with pallet racks. Antennas are attached to walls 20-40 meters above the ground pointing towards bays between racks.

Can you recommend any settings (gain and EIRP) for that setup?

Guru Elite

Before I answer, how many AP175s do you have deployed already with those antennas?

Does the warehouse have freezing/very hot temperatures, or is it controlled?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

There are about 15 access points covering the warehouse. Temperature is normal mostly depending on outside temperature and season. There are no freezing or hot areas.

Guru Elite

How far apart are the antennas and how long are the aisles?  How tall are the stacks on the sides of the aisles?  What is the product being stacked...(paper, metal or liquid)?

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor I

I have made a diagram of warehouse and where racks and access points (blue squares) are placed.

The racks are about 20-30 meters tall. Mostly paper and solid materials are stored. No liquid and metal.

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Okay.

Unfortunately, the appropriate antenna for that is the ap-ant-90  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-90_ss.pdf because it has a downtilt pattern designed to be able to give ground coverage at those heights.  The d607 is used for point-to-point links and probably will not give good ground coverage to clients at those heights.  The AP105 and AP135 also have built-in downtilt omnidirectional antennas and would be appropriate for this if the temperature does not swing too high or low.

With your existing antennas, you could put the power up high, but it is probably too focused coming from the D807 to provide ground coverage at those distances between access points.  See if you could obtain two AP-ANT-90s and measure your coverage.  Do you have anything to do a site survey to see your coverage for the D809s?

Before you do anything, you should check out Chuck L, our resident expert's presentation here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/Wireless-Design-for-Stores-Warehouses-amp-Manufacturing/ta-p/21618 to see if any of it applies to your installation.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: