Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

Posted Feb 17, 2015 02:52 PM

it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

I want to make cells smaller to increase capacity and sacrificy coverage, I usually do this whan the automatic provision does not fit well. I did it on AIPs with virtual Controller but no With physical controller.

• 2.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:26 PM

Please use the ASE solution found here to tune based on your environment.  However, you can set this in the ARM profile settings to tune to a specific power output and channel.

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/75

• 3.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 06:14 PM

Assigning manual channels and power can be resource intensive.  If you just want smaller cells, you can just lower the Max TX power in the ARM profile from 127 to 18 and you will have smaller cells..

• 4.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

Posted Feb 17, 2015 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot for your answer. I think I should define a new profile for each max EIRP I'm going to use for a group of APs or an AP. But where can I change the ARM profile to the AP?

• 5.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

Posted Feb 17, 2015 06:30 PM

I found that Each ARM profile is used in each Ap Group or specific AP. If I want to lower the Max EIRP I can do it by each AP. But If the same AP belongs to some group what would happen?

Configuration > AP Group

• 6.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:37 PM

erwin_hernandez@dell.com,

What determines an access point's power is the ARM min and ARM max TX power.  If the min and max are set to the same, that will be the power of the access point.  To do this on individual access points, it would be difficult, because it is not designed that way.  You would either have to create an ap-group where the radio profile, has an ARM profile with that specific power, and then provision each access point that you want that power into that ap-group.  You can also create a separate radio profile that has an ARM profile at the power you want it to be, then assign it using the ap-specific provisioning.

It is much easier to assign an ARM Min and ARM MAX and have the access points adjust in a narrow range, or if you make the min and the max the same, all of the access points will have the same power.

• 7.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:49 PM

Ok. Thanks. I tested that way and is more or less what I'm looking for. I want to increase capacity but making the cell smaller. I suppose that when I set up narrow ranges the WLC stills uses the algorithm in the ARM to set the channel automatically, am I right?. Can I also set static channels?

• 8.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:52 PM

Yes - the channel is still selected.  We would advise against statically setting all your channels if this is more or less a common deployment scenario.  Instead, please reference the ASE solution above in this thread for our recommended WLAN settings.  This is a proven solution and has worked well in many, many production environments.

However, you can set the channel statically if you require.

• 9.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 07:53 PM

erwin_hernandez@dell.com wrote:

Ok. Thanks. I tested that way and is more or less what I'm looking for. I want to increase capacity but making the cell smaller. I suppose that when I set up narrow ranges the WLC stills uses the algorithm in the ARM to set the channel automatically, am I right?. Can I also set static channels?

Channels will still be chosen automatically, correct.

You can set static channels, but once again, it was not designed for that, so it would be difficult.  The channels selected would be chosen for the Regulatory domain profile attached to each AP-Group.  If you want an access point to be on channel one, you would have to create a regulatory domain profile that only has that channel and assign the regulatory domain profile to the AP, in ap-specific.  You can also do this by ap-group, by creating a regulatory domain profile that has the single channel and assign it to an ap-group.  You would then provision an access point to that ap-group.  Difficult, but not impossible for anyone who is determined to set static channels.

• 10.  RE: it is possible to manually assign channels and power with a WLC 7030?

Posted Feb 17, 2015 08:00 PM

Thanks a lot. I just wanted to confirm how to make this changes but not actually make channels modifications. I want to be ready to face any situation if there is need to do some manual adjustment, but I trust that the WLC choose the best parameters to set up the network. Thanks both of you for your help!!!