Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

licensing in master redundancy model

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  licensing in master redundancy model

Posted Apr 13, 2014 05:15 PM

Hello.

I've got 2 W3400 controllers configured for master redundancy and I want to install Policy Enforcement Firewall and Wireless Intrusion Protection. Do I need seperate license for each controller or it can be shared?

Which redundancy model is the best (gives the fastest failover) when one controller fails?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: licensing in master redundancy model

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2014 05:54 PM

You need separate licenses for both unless you use the Centralized Licensing (http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/Multi__Network.htm)  feature in ArubaOS 6.3 and above.

Fast Failover gives the "fastest" failover, for access points, but ultimately it is dependent on how your clients respond after failover:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvFastFailover.htm

• 3.  RE: licensing in master redundancy model

Posted Apr 15, 2014 12:34 PM

Thanks for the links but I'm still confused which redundancy model should I use.

Is it posssible to use Master Redundancy with Fast Failover or these are two different approaches?

Can I use Centralized Licensing with Master Redundancy and Fast Failover?

Generally I'm looking for best deployment for 2 controllers and 30 access points.

• 4.  RE: licensing in master redundancy model

Posted May 05, 2014 09:00 AM

centralized licencing is compatible with master redundacy.

fast failover didnt use to be compatible with master redundacy, but is supposed to be from version 6.4 (which isnt GA yet i believe).

master redundacy with VRRP isnt that much slower (actually not at all during my test) then fast failover in some simple tests. of course vrrp requires l2 connectivity between the controllers.