Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mac filtering?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  mac filtering?

Posted Feb 10, 2012 02:05 PM

I have an aruba 3600 with a remote ap connected in bridge mode.  Is it possible to create a mac filter that will only let specific mac addresses authenticate to the remote ap-105? I also have an aruba 620 with a campus ap attached that I would like to do the same thing with... If so how does one accomplish it?  

• 2.  RE: mac filtering?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 02:11 PM
    The answer is yes.

• 3.  RE: mac filtering?

Posted Feb 10, 2012 06:08 PM

I don't want to authenticate using mac address, I want to authenticate using wpa2.  I just want to filter which ones are allowed to use wpa2 psk.   I did find that I could probably just create a mac policy and add each person's mac address that I want to allow.

• 4.  RE: mac filtering?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 11:01 PM

@bigtone wrote:

I don't want to authenticate using mac address, I want to authenticate using wpa2.  I just want to filter which ones are allowed to use wpa2 psk.   I did find that I could probably just create a mac policy and add each person's mac address that I want to allow.

The answer is, first create a wireless network or Virtual AP that allows you to do WPA2-PSK and get that working.  After that, go back into the AAA profile of that WLAN and add a mac authentication profile as well as a mac authentication server group.  That will add mac authentication to that WLAN.  If a devices does not pass mac authentication, it will simply not be able to get on.

In 6.1 in the AAA profile there is a parameter called l2 failthrough, where if it does not pass mac authentication, it will then allow devices to get on using WPA2-PSK or 802.1x or whatever the SSID is configured for.

• 5.  RE: mac filtering?

Posted Feb 14, 2012 12:42 PM

Do I add the list of mac addresses I want to allow in a mac policy or do I do that in the mac authentication server group server?

• 6.  RE: mac filtering?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2012 02:11 PM
    There is a chapter in the user guided dedicated to Mac authentication.