Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mcs index and data rate

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  mcs index and data rate

Posted Jun 29, 2016 04:51 PM

Hi,

I have some difficulties to understand  mcs index .Some times a mac device shows mcs index 22 and sometimes 24 . What does it mean . 

And another thing  What are the differnces between mcs index rate and data rate  or how they depends each other 

Thanks 

• 2.  RE: mcs index and data rate

Posted Jul 02, 2016 12:14 PM
    Hi,

Please check http://mcsindex.com/

• 3.  RE: mcs index and data rate

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:48 AM

Hi

If an apple 6s phone shows index rate m22 ,

does it mean I am getting   ac rate ?

• 4.  RE: mcs index and data rate

MVP
    Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:55 AM

As you can see from the table keya_n linked, the mcs index on it's own doesn't say a lot.

Where do you see this msc value? What are you trying to figure out? Are you using controller or IAP?

• 5.  RE: mcs index and data rate

Posted Jul 08, 2016 11:06 PM

Hi,

I did see this value in a sniffer.I am having some diffciulties to interpret these values .Sometimes I can see  a value of  m22 for an apple device sometimes it is m24

Thanks

• 6.  RE: mcs index and data rate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2016 06:30 AM

The mcs rate changes all of the time, sometimes even packet to packet, and that is to be expected.  That would happen because of a whole range of reasons.  It is not looked at often because it is not the biggest determining factor of performance.  A device can have a high mcs rate, but still perform horribly.

• 7.  RE: mcs index and data rate

Posted Aug 08, 2016 07:10 AM

Hi,

what are the differnce between the data rate and the rate which is shown in mcs index (basic rate (6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 ),transmit rate ,beacon rates ) .

Basic rate will use only use for management ?

Thanks

• 8.  RE: mcs index and data rate