Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mobility controllers 3400 issue

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  mobility controllers 3400 issue

Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:06 PM

Hello!

I have two issue regarding aruba mobility controllers 3400. My customer has three controllers. Two of the three have 32 bulit-in license. Each of them use ArubaOS 5.0.2.0.

1) My customer has activated 77 AP, 77 PEFNG and also 77 RFProtect licenses on each of the controllers with built-in license (32 built-in + purchased 45 additional license) Please, can anybody explain me how is possible to active more license than controllers are able to support APs (3400 controller is able to support up 64 AP).

2) My customer wants to upgrade ArubaOS from 5.0.2.0 to 6.3 or higher because this software version enable centralized license server. As I decribed one the first issue two of the three controllers have 32 built-in and 45 addtional purchased license so after upgrade contorollers this 90 additional license will go to cenralized license server pool? Is it possible to migrate license which are actived on old sofware version to the new software release?

Thanks very much in advance for responce and advice.

• 2.  RE: mobility controllers 3400 issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:16 PM

It is possible to apply more licenses than the controllers support.  In older versions, the Remote APs  (RAPs) were able to connect at a ratio of 4:1 on some controllers.  However, that is no longer the case.

After the upgrade to 6.3, centralized licensing will ONLY pool the licenses that are NOT embedded on the controller.  So, if an AP terminates to a controller with embedded as well as additional license keys, that AP will use the embedded license FIRST.

If you are looking at anything relating to license tranfers, etc, please consult with your Aruba sales rep.

• 3.  RE: mobility controllers 3400 issue

Posted Aug 28, 2014 03:57 PM

Thank you very much that you quickly responded for my post but I would like be sure regarding second issue. I know that after the upgrade to 6.3, centralized licensing will only pool the licenses that are not embedded on the controller. As I wrote earlier my customer has three controllers. On the thrid controllers he does not have any license so after the upgrade to 6.3 and activate cenralized server license this controller will may receive license (of course except embedded). I assume that I will be able to trasfer this license from old to new software version (please let me know if I am wrong) Could you confirm that this not embedded license will go to the license pool.

• 4.  RE: mobility controllers 3400 issue

Posted Sep 01, 2014 10:27 AM

Hi,

Anybody could help me to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance!

• 5.  RE: mobility controllers 3400 issue
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 02, 2014 04:38 AM

i believe the license structure between 5 and 6 didn't change much, have done such an upgrade without issues. but like SethFiermonti says, be to 100% sure check with your Aruba partner.