Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

no magic packets were send to printers via aruba wlc

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  no magic packets were send to printers via aruba wlc

Posted Jul 07, 2017 08:32 AM

we have some problems with our printers in connection with aruba wlc and ap’s.

We have changed our wireless devices from Lancom to Aruba and since then our wireless connected printers do not wake up from sleep mode.

Our printers were connected via Lancom ap’s and we never had problems to print, also if the printer was in sleep mode.

Since we changed to WLC 7010 in connection with Aruba AP’s type 205 we cannot print via wireless. It seems that if the printer went to sleep mode, they do not wake up when sending a print job.

The printers are Konica Minoltas and we had already a tech guy from KM at our location. The wake up settings from the printers are set to “magic packet”.

Is it possible that we have to change something on the WLC or is is a known issue?

WLC 7010

Version: 6.4.4.9

AP's type: 205

• 2.  RE: no magic packets were send to printers via aruba wlc

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 08:40 AM

Are you seeing any dropped traffic in the datapath session (#show datapath session | include xx.xx.xx.xx) between the printers and the client? Do you have any broadcast or multicast restrictions on your VAP profile?

I assume the "magic packet" is a wake on LAN feature?

• 3.  RE: no magic packets were send to printers via aruba wlc

Posted Jul 09, 2017 10:09 PM

Hi Dirk,

1. Are the printers showing in user-table of controller when they are in sleep mode ?

2. Do they recover if you ping the printer from the controller ?

• 4.  RE: no magic packets were send to printers via aruba wlc
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 20, 2017 05:52 AM

Hey,

sorry for the late answer, but I wasn't at the customer since 2 weeks.

Yesterday I unchecked "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast" at the controller.

I think, this solved the problem. We can print now also if the printer is in sleep mode and it wakes up with the magic packet.

Thanks for your replies.