Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

odd problem with Controller DHCP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 25, 2014 01:15 AM

Hello i got this odd issue

This client is using the DHCP server of the Controller to give the APs an ip address.

Whenever they use the DHCP server of the controller to give IP addreses to the APs

The APs takes up to 3 minutes to show in the console which is really odd.  

If i do the same with another controller it takes up to 36 seconds to show int he console.

If on the non working controller i put the AP with static ip address it takes up to 36 secs which is normal

If i put it to use a DHCP server a windows one for example it takes up to 1 minute.

If i put it to use the DHCP server of the controller it takes up to 3 minutes

If i try the same on another controller with the same code in all the options the AP takes up to 36 seconds to show in the console!

The AP is connected directly to the controller(there are no swithces or anything between them.

Its a new controller

I tried many differnet APS so its not the APS.

Anyone have seen this happening???

It just not make sense...

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 03:53 AM

I'm pretty sure the behaviour of how APs appear on the console has changed over the versions.  You are right in that it can take a couple of mins to appear....and when it does, it says uptime 2 mins or something like that.

I don't think it is necessarily anything to do with dhcp, you will see the APs take an address straight away.

• 3.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 25, 2014 04:01 AM

Are you using the show ap database on console?

The GUI has long refresh times than the CLI, any way

have you checked that the local IP of the controller are on the same NET as the APs?

• 4.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 04:13 AM

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

I'm pretty sure the behaviour of how APs appear on the console has changed over the versions.  You are right in that it can take a couple of mins to appear....and when it does, it says uptime 2 mins or something like that.

I don't think it is necessarily anything to do with dhcp, you will see the APs take an address straight away.

Michael_Clarke,

What does "I'm pretty sure the behaviour of how APs appear on the console has changed over the versions." mean?  Is there a specific behavior that you were made aware of?

• 5.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 04:26 AM

In the past the ap would immediately show as down, then eventually show as up.  Lately, I don't even see them appear, even though the gre is up in the datapath.  I can be up to 2 mins before they appear in the 'show ap database'.

Not a big deal and the differences are very subtle.

• 6.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 04:00 AM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Hello i got this odd issue

This client is using the DHCP server of the Controller to give the APs an ip address.

Whenever they use the DHCP server of the controller to give IP addreses to the APs

The APs takes up to 3 minutes to show in the console which is really odd.  

If i do the same with another controller it takes up to 36 seconds to show int he console.

If on the non working controller i put the AP with static ip address it takes up to 36 secs which is normal

If i put it to use a DHCP server a windows one for example it takes up to 1 minute.

If i put it to use the DHCP server of the controller it takes up to 3 minutes

If i try the same on another controller with the same code in all the options the AP takes up to 36 seconds to show in the console!

The AP is connected directly to the controller(there are no swithces or anything between them.

Its a new controller

I tried many differnet APS so its not the APS.

Anyone have seen this happening???

It just not make sense...

Cheers

Carlos

Carlos,

The controller DHCP automatically puts in a DHCP Option of 43 for access points which it assumes is the controller's switch-ip.  As you can see below:  I did not put in 192.168.1.3; it put it in automatically.  Make sure that is the ip address that you want your access points to connect to, or if it is even accessible, otherwise, change the switchip..:

(192.168.1.3) #show ip dhcp database 

DHCP enabled

# a
    subnet 1.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    	default-lease-time 15;
    	max-lease-time 15;
    	option domain-name "selabs.com";
    	option vendor-class-identifier  "ArubaAP";
    	option vendor-encapsulated-options  "192.168.1.3";
    	option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.25, 8.8.8.8;
    	option routers 1.1.1.1;
    	range 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.254;
    	authoritative;
    }

That may not be the root of your issue, but it could contribute to the issue you are seeing.  That is the main initial difference between using the controller vs. another DHCP server.

• 7.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 25, 2014 06:43 AM
    Hello Collin ! The attribite is there
    michael clark.
    i dont t think thats normal... Never had to wait 3 mins... It was soo ood to me that i was why its taking so long??
    i got a 620 ver 6.3.1.2
    i got a 3200mx an alcatel,version. 6.3.1.2

620 takes to have the ap on the consolose from 20 to 36 secs
    that specific 3200mx takes up to 3 mins to show the ap on the console.

why tthere is a big diffference? I dont know.
    im usibg show ap databse from the cli.

Collin is this behavior loojs normal to you? I would expect that if with a 620 i had to wait a few seconds the,same would be with a 3200mx... Or at least thats what my logic tells me.

Cheers
    Carlos

• 8.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 25, 2014 07:47 AM

i also took out the vendor identifier on the aruba controller to see what happened and it make no difference... i see my ap coming up in 36 seconds or something really near it 26, or 40 seconds

The alcatel controller keeps taking 3 minutes when using the internal DHCP server, and 1 minute when using an external dhcp server, and with manual ip address it takes 26 to 36 seconds.

ill try with another alcatel controller to see if the behavior is the same.

I dont install too many alcatel controllers... just from time to time... maybe its something of alcatel controllers??? which it should be the same... its the same code but with another logo :) ot at least that seems to me...

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 25, 2014 09:53 AM

just my two cents, for me it usually takes a couple of minutes for an AP to show up.

• 10.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:21 AM

Okay the problem is that  as i was configuring this controller offline, because it was going to  a remote site really far away from where i am, i did the configuration and when i was provisioning the APS they took 3 minutes

But it seems that when the AP cannot reach the DNS or something it takes 3 minutes to go up.   If he is able to see the DNS server ip then it comes up normally at less than one minute.   If i put a ip on the DNS server that he cannot reach 

Now if we put no DNS it works fine.. but if we put a dns in which he cannot reach it takes 3 minutes

Anoyone that knows the booting process really well can explain why it need to see the DNS ip???

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:51 AM

Carlos,

The access point attemps to resolve "aruba-master.<domain-from-dhcp>".

• 12.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:53 AM

But on the console it already found the master....

Why would it need to resolve aruba-master???

After the AP finish booting up it takes 3 minutes to appear in the console

And it does appear and it tells you that it has been 3 mins

Does it still need to resolve aruba-master even if it already decided who was the master in the boot process? because before finish booting up  he knows who is the master...

I would understand that if it took 3 minutes to find the master but thtas not the case.

Cheers

Carlos

• 13.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:56 AM

I even put the master and serverip manually and it still takes up to 3 minutes.

It should not resolve aruba-master in this case becasue he already knows who is the master?

• 14.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:57 AM
    Why don't you do a wired packet capture?

• 15.  RE: odd problem with Controller DHCP

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:58 AM

okay