Wireless Access

Super Contributor II

openDNS with Instants

Has anybody used openDNS accounts with Instant APs. I am particularly interested how caching of reolved IP addresses is avoided and if allowing guests to directly browse to a "bad" internet IP address can be avoided?. Is the openDNS solution a good one for branch offices that have guest and corporate internet traffic. My questions might seem a little vague but the openDNS site isn't specific enough and as usual the Instant documentation is inadequate.

Re: openDNS with Instants

At a summary level, Aruba Instant supports URL filtering against OpenDNS. All DNS requests are redirected to OpenDNS. If permitted, OpenDNS will send back a resolved IP address. If not, the HTTP request will not go further.   

There are more advanced options added in 3.0 and those are managed by OpenDNS themselves.  Basically, you can add the IAPs into your OpenDNS account and configure advanced features like security, content filtering, blacklist, etc.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
New Contributor

Re: openDNS with Instants

Can OpenDNS be configured exclusively on a "Guest" SSID such that an "Employee" still uses corporate DNS?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: