Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

outdoor wireless design for 1500 concurrent users using only data.

i have a proposal to design an outdoor wireless network for 1500 concurrent users  using only data. It is for a promotional stand for an insurance firm to offer free internet browsing to customer. they have limited space and they dont want more than 3 outdoor access point thant can server all 1500 users. My question is which of our single access point can manage up to 400  concurrent users (or state maximum users) and how do i deploy such design if its possible.

Re: outdoor wireless design for 1500 concurrent users using only data.

The theoretical limit is 255 users per radio, the RECOMMENDED max per 5Ghz radio is ~100 and on the 2.5Ghz radio 50. Anything over that and airtime contention results in VERY poor performance for all users (there's loads of writes up in Aruba's VRD docs that explain all this). You should not be planning on supporting 1500 users across three APs, outdoors, it will not work well, regardless of vendor. 

A better design would be 150 users, maybe 200 to stretch it, per AP, you would need 8-10 outdoor APs, I would recommend AP-277s with the integrated directional antennas and aim them in a way to provide pockets of wifi instead of omni antennas blasting RF in all directions.

To know more you would need to provide layout of the area, where your network access is and what mounting hardware you have available and where, where the people will be, etc. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Occasional Contributor I

Hello Jerrod, i suggested your proposal to client and client came up with the following  requirement:

• 500 concurrent connections
  • Outdoor APs with good antennas
  • Hotspot Software
  • Log on page where users can submit names, email and other requirements
  • Log on credentials sent to registered email
  • Please note budget is lean so no expensive equipment
  • All APs would be placed around a quadrangle
  • We would prefer not using a dedicated controller (if possible)

I have proposed 3units of IAP-277s with the integrated directional antennas with ClearPass for 250 Guest  licenses.

I will appreciate your iinput.

500 on 3 APs will be a stretch but more tenable. If you plan on 500 guest users, you would likely need more than 250 CPPM, but I'm not a CPPM expert.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: